I Forge Iron

A collection of improvised anvils

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

They are giving me 404 errors now too; funny I checked them when I first posted them...Anyway just search on:  Hylestad Stave Church and look at the ones dealing with the forging and testing of the sword.

Ah yes I remember now, I think you've posted the the links before on another thread..... I recall seeing a Norwgian Stamp depictig one of the engraings.

3 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Sumer is i-cumin in—

Lhude sing, cuccu!

Groweth sed and bloweth med

And springth the wude nu.

Sing, cuccu!

Ezra Pound wrote a spoof of this, but I cannot post it here for fear of its language getting me banned. 

1 hour ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

MARCUSB, do you know what it was originally used for? If so that can help others find similar anvils.

Its a spare lower die for my big hammer,  its designed to put a single sided taper on spud bars. Weighs about 300 pounds.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Ooooooh! Size DOES matter! It needs legs directly under it, the plate table will flex. Oh sure, not much but every erg counts especially when it's coming from your arm.

Frosty The Lucky.

The plate under its 1" thick, not any flex that I can detect, when you forge on it feels pretty solid.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my hands on this heavy bit of stock afew weeks back, ended up rounding off the edge a little and putting together a stand for it. Works great as an anvil, better than i thought it would actually. Its EN8 stock, seems to be tougher than mild steel. Heres some photos, and a photo of the first thing I made with it - one half of a pair of tongs

IMG-20171003-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20171003-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20171003-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20171003-WA0001.jpg