I Forge Iron

New to me Swage Block and Stand

JustNick

Hello I would like to know more about my new to me swage block and original stand for it. I know there is no way to tell what year ect it was made or by who it was made. But if there is any other way to find out more info I would like to learn more about this piece. Here are some pictures of it. I am excited to own it and I am going to love to learn more about it and blacksmithing in general.

I have not weighted it yet but it is 16"x16"x4.5"

Thanks Nick

swage 1.jpg

swage 2.jpg

swage 3.jpg

swage 4.jpg

It's a nice swage block and stand regardless of its make and age. I know many people mention that they barely use theirs but I can see many ways they could be useful. Nice find and good luck figuring out its usefulness in what you make. 

My very crude estimate puts that swage block around 200 pounds, and the stand probably weighs close to that also. They look to be in great shape and have many useful shapes. It will also make a perfect horizontal surface to stack many more things on top of it.

Thank you all and yes we think it is around 200lbs and the stand is right there with it. I really did not need one yet but I could not refuse for the price I paid.

jlpservicesinc It started out because my great grandfather had a old anvil I always liked and wanted so I bought my anvil more to have a nice piece of history that I always have liked then that turned into me wanting to start a new hobby of blacksmithing I plan on making all my tooling I need to be able to make some hammers and knifes. I have already made a 480 layer billet of Damascus and am working on the tooling I need to make some nice hammers. At the end of the day I have just fallen into a blacksmithing addiction and want to do it all the time but Family and work seem to get in my way. But I think I am going to devote my time making hammers some of the ones I see the pros make are amazing and I want to give it a run. I figure I am young enough to be able to make so really nice things in my life. I am the type of person that has to be doing something constructive all the time or I get in trouble. I have been blessed in my line of business to be able to play a little on my hobbies. and I have met a guy local to me that has become a friend and he has more antique blacksmith tools then I could ever have imagined possible that he collects uses and sells and he is a bad influence on me by giving me great deals on some of my tooling. so now I am doing what I can and learning everything else I can and taking classes with blacksmiths to learn as much as possible. I am going to go the Lyle Wynn's Class early next year if I can find time. Sorry I just kind of went off with my response  

Nice swage block Nick, I'd like to have the V swages available. A number of our guys have improvised anvils and it can be a challenge to forge an anvil devil or hack for a new guy. You have a nice selection too, they'd really speed up pre-forms for hardies, fullers, etc. 

I don't use my swage block very often but what I do it's pretty excellent. I probably use it more often to hold stakes and a hex swage set the edge profile for Brian Brazeal type punches and slitters. Lyle will show you what I mean if you ask though it'll probably be part of his class.

Frosty The Lucky.

The Half Priced Books in Round Rock told me they could have a copy of The Backyard Blacksmith by Simms there from another store in Austin in 2 weeks; unfortunately I was only there for 1 visiting the Mothership so to speak...I need to buy a copy for my Step Daughter in Law...