blacksmith-450

Flattening hammer (easy way)

Yes i have put the edges on de sanding disk to prevent chip and mushroom effect

J'ai légèrement brisé les arrêtes sur le disque à sabler.  Si la tête se déforme et commence à faire un champignon je vais accentuer le biseau. 

Also if you slightly dome the top - you will most always hit driving the force down the center of the flatter vs. an errant blow on the top edge.

Did you anneal the axle part your hitting or are you going to leave it hardened? And do what Jeremy K says, dome the top. Also, do slightly radius the edges on the bottom so you won't leave as many marks in your steel. Great idea by the way. Thanks for sharing

Mark

6 hours ago, blacksmith-450 said:

Oh ! no, I didn't.  But... maybe the weld draw it a little...

It's good to take of the edges on the striking end but you also have to remove the sharp edges on the business ends ;) 

Otherwise you will have "lines" in your work.  It's like a hammer, you have to dress the edges to not mark the work. 

Si ce n'est pas clair je peux poster une photo demain! 

I think this may be the best example. This is a friend's set hammer (dressed) next to my undressed set hammer: 

apITnfc.png

Nice work! And if it does the job every thing is fine.

I made my flatter the "blacksmiths way", that means forging down a large piece of steel at one end, putting it into the swage plate and smacking the xxxx out of it with a sledge hammer. Works fine too and took me less than 1,5h, punching the handle hole included. 

Flatter 01.jpg

Flatter 02.jpg

Mod Note:Your images have been reworked from over 4 megs to less than 100K in size.