I Forge Iron

Cpl questiones building a new forge

Binesman

So I'm going to be taking people's advice and building a proper Forge the second go-round. I'll be doing two inches of kaowool with a castalite face and an IR. My questions are these. I have read that I need to spray the kaowool down with silica to rigidize it. Will waterglass work for this as it is just a mixture of silica and lye? Second question is a steel casing really necessary? With that much insulation is it possible to use say a mailbox? And yes I realize that that is somewhat of an impractical item but there are reasonings behind it.

I'm building my first forge also.  I made 2 liters of sodium silicate, bought some perlite, portland cement, etc, etc etc per the U tube experts then I found this site.

Water glass will not work.  It melts at too low of a temperature, and your kaowool will become airborne again.  Not a good thing.  You need to get some colloidal silica or my understanding is you can make your own using fumed silica.  If that's not correct, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me in a few minutes.

As far as the mail box, I guess you could.  I would want something more secure holding my $200-300 worth of forge building materials....  Good luck

CC

Wow I've been using propane forges for about 20 years now and never spent that much building one!  I have seen a professional blacksmith who once needed a quite large propane forge and just took a roll of kaowool and used baling wire to hold it together so pretty much no outside.  What will the mailbox be made from?  Plastic: I'd say no, Aluminium ---perhaps depending, steel ok but check if it's galvanized!

bought some perlite, portland cement, etc, etc etc per the U tube experts then I found this site.

Well, I'm sorry but anyone who suggest perlite and Portland cement were not experts.

Check out the Build a Gas Forge on the Forge Supplies page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com for instructions on how I like to build a good, efficient, tough, long lasting forge.  You should be able to build in a couple of days leisurely work.

Let me know if I can help you.  Check my profile for my e-mail address and phone # , I prefer e-mail.

Wayne

Deffenitly check out Wayne's site great info and very happy to help you with questions.   I bought fumed silica for about $7 (quart). Used maybe half of it on my helium tank forge. And I mixed it heavy.   Helium tanks are relatively easy to find and cheap to free. They can not be reused so they have to pay to dispose of them. Check out the forge 101 thread in the gas forges section. Will take a while to read threw but will save you a ton of $$ and head ache!!!

Already put my order in with wayne.  I didnt order silica as i didnt remeber it.  Thats why i was wondering about the waterglass.  I have read that just water and fumed silica will make do?  

Also the point to the mailbox is to poke fun at my wife.  Im a mailman and after about the 10th night in a row of heading out to the forge she said to me " all you do at work is shove xxxx in a box all day id think youd be sick of doing that by the time you get home".  So since im building a new forge may as well make it a mailbox so i can tell her im just heading to work.

Sure, a steel mailbox makes a fine shell. Remember to figure in the thickness of the liner when you calculate the volume. The volume is what's important to know when determining the size, number and orientation of your burners.

Binesman: <sigh> Language.:o Family site, remember?

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, I've spit suds. Ivory is the best but oooh the Irish Spring . . .:( Dad improvised with Lava once, wasn't so bad but you gotta brush to get rid of the pumice. Dish soap can be rude and by time Go Jo came out I was too big and learned not to cuss around Mother or Mom. One of my Ex sister in Laws used to put a couple drops of Tabasco sauce on the offender's tongue. Effective maybe, but not a good thing. 

Don't worry, we all slip now and then. You have to be a regular to get in any heat. If you get the warning notice thing, try not to let it tick you off they're working on a better message. It's an OS thing and too complicated to explain.

Frosty The Lucky.