I Forge Iron

Anvil stand, root side up or root side down?

When they buried an anvil stand into the ground, did they put it in the ground root side up (reversed from how it grows) or root side down (the way it grows) ? 

The reason would be the root side down (the way it grows) the system is in place to transfer water or moisture up the stump. Would placing it root side up change that water movement ability?

When you have just a wooden stand with an anvil on it on the shop floor, does it matter if it is root side up (reversed from how it grows) or root side down (the way it grows) ? 

What I know: Dried wood does not have a 'directionality' to the capillary effect of water travel.

What I'm guessing: If the roots themselves were used on the stump, not just the trunk used, then they may have a more absorptive quality, so may increase water draw if exposed to water. This is just an educated guess.

Well they believed it made a difference if you go back far enough and so the old suggestion was invert the stump.  I think putting a sump in the bottom of the hole would make a bigger difference. Of course some of my anvils stands are 100 year old? creosoted mine timbers; not very sticky anymore and with pretty good cracks but solid!

Without the entire root system (including root hairs and mycorrhizae) to absorb groundwater, the stump isn't going to pull any significant water out of the ground. If you think it would, go cut the roots of all your trees and see how long the leaves stay green. 

However, putting the root side down would allow you to put the root flare at the base of your stand, which would make it wider and thus more stable. If you're burying the base, having the flare below ground would create a dovetail effect that would resist vertical movement in the stump. 

On 8/28/2017 at 5:38 PM, Glenn said:

The reason would be the root side down (the way it grows) the system is in place to transfer water or moisture up the stump. Would placing it root side up change that water movement ability? 

Trees pump water and sap both ways.

6 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Only if you have the horn of the anvil pointed at sunrise on the equinox. 

Feng shui blacksmithing!

I don't have my stumps in the ground but one it root up one is root down, just because they worked that way. Anvils fiited and the stumps were nice and stable.

Show of hands.......how many folks here have seen an anvil stand stump sprout branches? That's a tongue twister I just realized.  (I just KNOW I'm gonna get some "ayes" from the crowd on the sprouts).

Secondly, does it really matter?