I Forge Iron

Thoughts on this burner

customcutter

I was thinking of building this burner, before I found IFI.  I like the idea that the air flow can be choked down to match the fuel flow.  You should be able to get an oxidizing, neutral, or reducing flame at almost any pressure.  The drawback is that it's more difficult to build.  For me that's not a problem.  I have a lathe, 2 milling machines, welders, etc, etc.  

I'm going tomorrow to buy the kaowool to build to forges, 1 from a 30# propane tank, and 1 from a smaller freon tank.  I plan on using 2 1" layers of fiber, then lining with a proper refractory, etc, etc.  I want to be able to reach proper welding temperatures in both forges.  I hope I can do so by using 2 3/4" burners in the larger forge, and 1 3/4" burner in the smaller forge.

What are your thoughts on this burner design?  

thanks in advance, Ken

Thank you sir.  I think this will allow me to operate more economically, running at forging heat most of the time by cutting back the pressure, and then running at welding temperatures when needed, by increasing gas  pressure.  

Are the differences in savings really worth all the fiddling about, plus I'm wondering if it will increase wait times between forging, which is really where the economy of "time" comes in to play.  I guess I'll have to figure that out for myself.

Thanks again, Ken

Okay, the "problem" doesn't actually exist. In the video, he was using the choke to change the hardness of the flame; this is used to fine tune flames from oxidizing, through neutral, to reducing. You will seldom use your choke for this, as changing the incoming gas pressure is what is used to change flame AMOUNTS. The other thing air chokes are used for, is to close the burner off, to prevent chimney effects, after forge shutdown.

Tuning any burner is like riding a bicycle; it only seems complicated until you do it once; afterward your body does what is needed, without even consulting your mind

The choke can be used to change the temperature of the flame in conjunction with the composition of the flame and, when in a forge, the forge atmosphere. Whether or not this is something you will do frequently is primarily dependent on the sort of work you intend to do in the forge.

In my experience, relatively few Naturally Aspirated forges are jetted to run lean (i.e. with excess air), even with the choke fully open: most seem to be jetted to run slightly rich, with the choke adjustment, where fitted, giving the facility to make the mixture even more rich and the flame temperature cooler.

Dragons Breath is a pretty good indication that a forge is running rich, and by some margin. 

If you are bladesmithing, you may wish to run an extremely rich mixture (choke nearly closed) to provide a flame temperature around 800 degC (1472 degF) for Heat Treating, a somewhat leaner mixture to provide forging temperatures and a leaner mixture still (choke fully open, or nearly so) for welding temperatures. 

As Mikey says, changing the pressure changes the amount of flame present and therefore the heat input.

For blacksmithing, you might simply find the choke setting that provides welding temperature without excessive scaling, leave the choke there and and just turn down the pressure when forging. I'd certainly be inclined to do this on a multi-burner forge, just to minimize adjustment time and maximize forging time.

28 minutes ago, timgunn1962 said:

For blacksmithing, you might simply find the choke setting that provides welding temperature without excessive scaling, leave the choke there and and just turn down the pressure when forging. I'd certainly be inclined to do this on a multi-burner forge, just to minimize adjustment time and maximize forging time.

Thanks, I think this is what I will try to achieve.