I Forge Iron

Anvil Collected

Hi All,

for those of you involved in the earlier discussions re the anvil I bought of eBay, I have collected it today, the fella I bought it off actually worked with this anvil when he worked for British Steel, it took two of us to lift it into my car I would guess it's 25 stone + I took the paint off the face, table and horn please see pictures below, it has had a hard life but rings like a bell, it looks very much like a Peter Wright but I haven't found any makers marks as yet, it either needs the face milling or replacing but as I am a complete novice I would welcome any advice u can give

thanks 

John

IMG_2279.PNG

IMG_2287.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2292.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2294.JPG

12 minutes ago, Johnyb999 said:

it either needs the face milling or replacing

DON'T DO IT! There's nothing wrong with the face of that anvil that won't get fixed by working hot metal on it. Sure, it's had some abuse (and it looks like what I thought was a crack in your other photos is just a grinder gouge), but like @Kevin Olson says, you'll learn to work around it. If it rings like a bell, don't mess with it!

15 minutes ago, Johnyb999 said:

does it look like a Peter Wright to u? 

Generally, it's in that style, but the style was frequently copied. If there are PW markings, they'd be on the side above the weight stamp. Try getting the paint off of that face with a wire brush and see if there's anything that comes to light.

For the metric challenged, a stone weighs 14 pounds, so 25 stone is about 350 pounds. 

Pound hot metal on the anvil face for a year or so and look at the face again. And by a year or so, I am talking about 1000 to 2000 hours of real hammer time. Just turning the shop lights on does not count.  Before and after photos will help you recall the original condition of the face so you can compare.

42 minutes ago, Johnyb999 said:

best fire up the forge and get hammering?

Yep.

42 minutes ago, Glenn said:

For the metric challenged, a stone weighs 14 pounds,

There are eight stone to a hundredweight; this means that the middle number on a hundredweight-system weight stamp represents that number x 2 stone.