I Forge Iron

7" Wabocho

billyO

Hello all.

Here's my latest completion, a 5 layer wabocho (O1, 15N20, mild steel) with more scales of spalted maple off my property stabilized by K&G.

Blade length 7", OAL 11"

2017_08120010.JPG.444667820a94e19891a911a18157c605.JPG

Comments/critiques always welcome.

as always

peace and love

billyO

That wood is really nice, and I love low layer Damascus. My only two critique's are the handle looks a little short. usually I try and shoot for 4 1/2 inches for handle length on  medium to large knives. shorter for smaller knives obviously. The blade looks a tiny bit on the wide side.

Thanks for all the replies.

8 minutes ago, Dylan Sawicki said:

That wood is really nice, and I love low layer Damascus. My only two critique's are the handle looks a little short. usually I try and shoot for 4 1/2 inches for handle length on  medium to large knives. shorter for smaller knives obviously. The blade looks a tiny bit on the wide side.

The depth of the blade is to avoid my big knuckles from hitting the cutting board.  

As far as handle length, this isn't the first time I've heard that, but it seems to be more of an aesthetic (ie, personal)  rather than functional choice. 

2 hours ago, D.IVO said:

Lovely pattern, is that mild steel in the center and 15n20 around?

Don't worry, the O1 is the center.

~billyO

Great work, Bill. I really like the look of this blade. The pattern in the steel looks like a continuation of the pattern in the wood, it seems to just flow right forward. 

The way the handle is shaped and the way the blade curves backwards before the edge make it look very welcoming for the hand. 

8 hours ago, Dylan Sawicki said:

If you made it for yourself and it's comfortable for you then there's no problem.:)

Like I said, I've heard the short handle comment before, once by an ABS master smith, and when he picked it up, he said (in what I heard as a surprised voice) that it felt really good and functional in his hand.  I think it's the rounded back part of the handle that fits between the thenar and hypothenar muscles of the palm (sorry, my physical therapy background sneaking in there)  The back of the midpalmar crease.