I Forge Iron

Please help to identify the anvil.

Hello, I live in Ukraine, and I bought an anvil but I can not identify it. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that it is English. Maybe the Mouse ... I can not find the stigma only the numbers to the best of my knowledge this English measure of weight is possible. Its weight is 236 kg. Please help me figure it out ...

111.jpg

viber image.jpg

0-02-04-83e878e4a3d60e0577bac421ea61ada3ce7f52c70c339ee72f56891a467cfda4_full.jpg

0-02-04-b31d256d0fd30f0fda5153059ffe360b8603d5f8c1940160f81201f58e17429b_full.jpg

Rub it gently with your hands then use flour and chalk. I'm very sorry for my english and the quality of photos ...

I would like to know the approximate age of the anvil

the numbers look to me like 4   3   10

this is the English hundredweight system.

4 hundredweight 4x 112 pounds   448 pounds

3 quarters 3x 28 pounds   84 pounds

10 pounds   10 pounds

total 542 pounds is about 245.8kg

it may have lost some weight over the years or I may have missread the middle number

your English is good, my Ukrainian is not even bad, I do not know a single word in your language;)

I visited Kiev in 1992 for a week

As @Everything Mac notes in his Beginner's Guide to buying anvils, there were literally hundreds of anvil manufacturers in England, so while this has the general overall lines of a Mousehole, it was probably made by someone else who trained there. You'll probably never be able to figure out exactly who, unless you discover some other markings that you overlooked earlier. If it doesn't actually say Mousehole, it probably isn't a Mousehole.

That said, the presence of the pritchell hole indicates that it was probably made after about 1835. 

Welcome aboard Nick, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many Ukrainians are members, maybe within visiting distance.

That is one HECK of an anvil, it's condition looks pretty good and it's heavy enough to have it's own permanent spot in the shop. Have you done a rebound test? Drop a ball bearing or lightly tap it with a light hammer and estimate how far it bounces back. The closer to the height you dropped it from the better the light smooth faced hammer is good for tapping a pattern over the whole fact. This lets you find spots that are softened or the face has delaminated from the body. 

I can't help you with the maker and that may be lost in the mists of time. Please put her to work, when it comes down to it age and maker don't really matter to a working tool. That is a SWEET find.

Your English is better than some of the guys who were born here.

Frosty The Lucky.

Еще раз большое спасибо! Я сделал тест на отскок. Мяч хорошо прыгает. Кольцо наковальни звонит, что позволяет мне понять, что в нем нет трещин и пучков. Лицо провисало на 5 мм, а рог нужно сваривать, но я буду работать над ним.

The horn will be helped by carbide electrodes of cracks in the horn no ... I'm sorry again ...

34 minutes ago, Nick Safonov said:

Еще раз большое спасибо! Я сделал тест на отскок. Мяч хорошо прыгает. Кольцо наковальни звонит, что позволяет мне понять, что в нем нет трещин и пучков. Лицо провисало на 5 мм, а рог нужно сваривать, но я буду работать над ним.

The horn will be helped by carbide electrodes of cracks in the horn no ... I'm sorry again ...

Oh PLEASE don't weld on it. The horn isn't damaged enough you you can't avoid the damage. Carbide rods are a very bad choice it's NOT intended to take impact and will chip out. If you MUST weld up that damage use a "build up" rod designed to build up damage under hard face rods. Build up rod is formulated to be impact and deformation resistant rather than hard. Carbide is abrasion resistant and is pretty brittle. Hitting it with a hammer will make it crack and break while damaging your hammer face.

Honest, I even took a couple classes for hard facing tool.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nick, wonderful old anvil... cherish it! If you feel that you need a "pointy" horn, simply make a short bick to fit in your hardie hole. I made one for small work and it's fine.

I concur with the others... absolutely NO welding on that old beauty.

6 hours ago, the iron dwarf said:

I visited Kiev in 1992 for a week

Hey!  That's when I was there!  Sadly only for 3 days in May, but they were a glorious 3 days.  Hope to go back some day.  

I can't add anything about the anvil that hasn't already been said, but one that size is a nice find.  Welcome to IFI.

In the third photo of your last post, I think I can make out " - - I T A G E", which would be the tail end of "ARMITAGE". That would be additional confirmation that this is a Mousehole anvil, and if you can puzzle out what initials come before "ARMITAGE", that can also help narrow the date range down further.

Прости. Я не знаю, как переворачивать фотографии ...

This is all that I was able to find on the anvil until as much as a torus with a brush .... On the vengeance where the stigma can be seen that many worked apparently so the stigma almost disappeared ...

the mouse is ready for forging ... I hope to forge a pair of axes on the weekend ... Friends help please determine her age by the numbers I heard that this is possible. I hope someone will have a picture of such an anvil I would like to see not damaged by the brand of the mouse.

IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

1 hour ago, Nick Safonov said:

The mouse is ready to work. I hope to make a pair of axes on the weekend ... Friends help please determine her age by the numbers I heard that this is possible. I hope someone will have a picture of such an anvil I would like to see not damaged by the brand of the mouse. Once again, forgive my English ...

IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG