I Forge Iron

I have seen a small hammer that ran and was small enough to fit on the bill of a baseball cap. I have also seen an example of a small one that was iirc about 3.5' tall and probably was about a 10 lb hammer weight. That one was a video on YouTube by a guy named Sam something. I tried getting in touch with the guy but never heard back from him. 

A neighbor of my Uncle Fred had a bench mount power hammer that couldn't have been 10lbs. He'd passed away and his widow was selling much of his collection but she didn't know anything about the little hammer and there was no way to get close to it. That building was literally stacked with stuff. It was a mechanical very similar to a Little Giant but that was a common configuration.

I know that's not much help but they do exist out there.

Frosty The Lucky.

Maurice Ellis built several small air hammers.The one I got to use was I think a 9 pound and ran on a little pancake compressor. It was probably 300 pounds total or less-one person could reasonably move it around. It wasn't a huge powerhouse but it would eat up 1/2inch square stock

2 minutes ago, jason0012 said:

Maurice Ellis built several small air hammers.The one I got to use was I think a 9 pound and ran on a little pancake compressor. It was probably 300 pounds total or less-one person could reasonably move it around. It wasn't a huge powerhouse but it would eat up 1/2inch square stock

Ooh now that sounds up my alley... How would you think it would work flat stock for knives? Also, any contact info or videos of his hammers?

I just googled pneumatic planishing hammer. These are like an English wheel frame having a rivet gun mounted above a small adjustable anvil. I've never used one, but the rivet guns we use at work come in various power levels. Is that similar to what you are thinking of?

On 8/24/2017 at 9:44 PM, jason0012 said:

That thing looks perfect, does he still make them?

On 8/24/2017 at 2:53 PM, 4elements said:

I just googled pneumatic planishing hammer. These are like an English wheel frame having a rivet gun mounted above a small adjustable anvil. I've never used one, but the rivet guns we use at work come in various power levels. Is that similar to what you are thinking of?

Not quite, I'm thinking of something with about the same hitt of power as my arm may be a little more but one that hits faster and doesn't destroy my wrists(bad wrists from a growth spurt when younger)

do NOT quote the large previous post  -- mod  removed

Greetings Fishfinder ,

Your hammer requirements are directly proportionate to the work you are trying to accomplish. I built a custom hammer to do small work when I did a volume of repousse and sheet work. Mine is quite unique because the anvil portion is hydraulically controlled . The foot pedal controls the hammer and the depth as well.  As with all hammers a lot of custom tooling is required. I would suggest listing the stock you wish to use and the finished product you expect.  I would also suggest informing others how much you wish to spend or how many hours you are willing to invest  to build your own.  No easy answer.. Good luck

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

81296681-12A3-49EB-8A03-1B99F8D91936.JPG

351683BB-3648-4E95-829B-9C4DB481C258.JPG

18 minutes ago, Jim Coke said:

I built a custom hammer to do small work when I did a volume of repousse and sheet work. Mine is quite unique because the anvil portion is hydraulically controlled .

Jim that reminds me of the "ZIPMAX" Bruce (Macbruce) in Colorado makes - I saw him demo it at the ABANA conference a few years ago I Rapid City So. Dakota.

• 2 weeks later...