Jump to content
I Forge Iron
Sign in to follow this  
Chiefum

Choosing a Burner/Forge

Recommended Posts

So I'm in the market to buy my first forge or make it from scratch. I own very few tools in general and I'm not the best handyman in the world either. I was originally going to buy a forge around 300-500 bucks. Everyone on the Reddit forum was saying to basically build my own and save some money. I'm looking to do pretty much a bit of everything eventually. I was thinking of going Propane because I thought it would be cheaper. It'll also be cleaner which is nice seeing as how I'll be in the driveway most of the time haha.

Basically, I didn't know a good propane forge or burner to buy. Is there any good brands of burners and forges out there I should look at? 

I know of the following places that I was looking at.

Centuar Forge

Alec Steele has some burners for sale

Hybridburner

Devil Forge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May I point out that not knowing your location makes it hard to suggest something cost effective in your area?  Are you in Finland like several smiths posting here recently?

Here in the USA I took an intermediate method and attended a propane forge building workshop held by a local ABANA affiliate and so ended up with a very nice forge for half the price you are looking at at the time of the class. (Actually I attended two and so have both a blown and an NA forge.)

As building the forge is the simple part, (Wayne Coe can supply materials IF YOU ARE IN THE USA!); some folks just buy the burner which is the more fussy thing to build and insert it in the forge they build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard Chiefum glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the group live within visiting distance. Some information if location specific.

Frosty The Lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chiefum, I was in the same boat.

Bought a burner & built my forge.

Finished it up on Saturday & have $150 in it altogether.

 

Good luck & have fun with your search.

Window shopping is cheap & there's lotsa folks here with a ton of knowledge.

 

IMG_5527.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry everyone, I live in Cincinnati Ohio. I'll be buying a burner probably from the places listed in my original post unless someone knows of a better place to get a quality burner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GrumpyBiker said:

I'm up the road in the Marion Area

You're around 2 hours away from me. Honestly not all that bad considering how this is my first post on here haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Chiefum said:

Sorry everyone, I live in Cincinnati Ohio. I'll be buying a burner probably from the places listed in my original post unless someone knows of a better place to get a quality burner.

Welcome to the forum. None of us will remember where you are located ten minutes from now. You can go to your profile and add your location and may be surprised how many of the IFI gang are close to you.

If you read the forges 101 and burners 101 threads you might decide to build your own. I did (although I had a kiln burner) and everyone here was a tremendous help.

Good luck on your quest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Welcome to the forum. None of us will remember where you are located ten minutes from now. You can go to your profile and add your location and may be surprised how many of the IFI gang are close to you.

If you read the forges 101 and burners 101 threads you might decide to build your own. I did (although I had a kiln burner) and everyone here was a tremendous help.

Good luck on your quest.

Done and done and thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Morning and welcome,

Trying to figure out what forge to buy/build. The reality is, you are wondering what kind of Forge for your "FIRST FORGE". Forget the cost, after using "A" Forge, you will want one a little larger or a little smaller. The reality is, you will end up with a few concoctions, before you are satisfied. You can make a Forge with 9 Fire-Bricks, that will work just as good as anything else, except, you won't be satisfied with the simplicity of it. You will build or purchase another, a little more sophisticated. Bottom line, Enjoy the Journey!! Take care of your ears, eyes and body!! None can be replaced!! Keep your smile on your face, no where else.

Good, Cheap, Fast!! Pick two!! Picking three is impossible!!

Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't agree with that. I have only built a dozen or so forges over the last eighteen years, and feel confident that I will dream up the perfect forge any year now ; honest :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know nothing from personal experience about propane forges.  However, when I started this journey I read everything by Ron Reil hosted on Abana and he suggested you either build his design on your own or by the T-Rex from hybrid burners.  When I build my propane forge I will either buy a T-Rex or build Frosty's burner. http://www.blacksmither.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/T-Burner-Directions-finished-1.pdf

Enjoy the decision making process.  I was right where you are and ended up building a side blast coal forge...go figure.

Lou

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lou L said:

I know nothing from personal experience about propane forges.  However, when I started this journey I read everything by Ron Reil hosted on Abana and he suggested you either build his design on your own or by the T-Rex from hybrid burners.  When I build my propane forge I will either buy a T-Rex or build Frosty's burner. http://www.blacksmither.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/T-Burner-Directions-finished-1.pdf

Enjoy the decision making process.  I was right where you are and ended up building a side blast coal forge...go figure.

Lou

 

I was actually trying to choose between a T-Rex or their 1' burner. I figure the 1' burner would be a little more "future" proof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the 1" is for larger applications like foundries and such.  If you get the 1" you will need to make sure your forge volume is large enough.  I don't know exactly what problems result from burner overkill, others can explain that.  Plus, larger forge and larger burner means huge fuel consumption.  I think you would be more than happy with the 3/4" T-Rex and an appropriately sized forge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 1" Trex  is more than enough burner to bring about 700 cu/in to welding temp. The sides need to have rather equal dimensions though or you end up with HOT spot and cooler corners. If you build a long narrow forge then it's hot under the burner and the temp falls with distance.

Frosty The Lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After thinking about it I'm going to get the T-Rex burner. Worse comes to worse I can order a second one down the road for a larger forge. 

 

Thanks for all the comments so far guys! Everyone's been a lot nicer than some of the people over on the Reddit Blacksmithing page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2017 at 0:43 PM, Frosty said:

A 1" Trex  is more than enough burner to bring about 700 cu/in to welding temp. The sides need to have rather equal dimensions though or you end up with HOT spot and cooler corners. If you build a long narrow forge then it's hot under the burner and the temp falls with distance.

Of course ribbon burners tend to give a more even temperature range in the forge. Whether that is desirable, or hot spots are, is up to the user.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...