Sign in to follow this  
griffinforge

Austrian Anvil

Recently purchased this 80kg Austrian anvil in almost perfect condition. The rebound and ring are amazing. Next step is to find out approximately how old it is based on the serial #41558. Anyone with any insight please feel free to chime in.

20170817_143836.jpg

IMG_0060.JPG

Fatfudd   

Very Nice Anvil. Without knowing the maker it would be really hard to determine the age of the anvil or its date of manufacture. It is a cast steel anvil which narrows it quite a bit and looking at the weight stamp impression I would guess Kohlswa or a similar manufacturer but that is only a guess. My Soderfors Austrian(bohemian) anvil was cast too but there is no serial number on it. Hopefully someone across the pond might know more?

soderfors and a-h 005.JPG

JT   
2 hours ago, griffinforge said:

Recently purchased this 80kg Austrian anvil in almost perfect condition. The rebound and ring are amazing. Next step is to find out approximately how old it is based on the serial #41558. Anyone with any insight please feel free to chime in.

20170817_143836.jpg

IMG_0060.JPG

nice anvil !! I don't know how to date them either, I have one like it also,  that weighs in at 573lbs.  

image6593BM6A.jpg

Are there some markings on the front side? Could you provide a close up picture? The pattern is  Austrian, but it could be manufactured in a different country 

It's not a JEB anvil I'm pretty sure, the feet have a wider stance than that style anvil, in the second picture is the serial number stamped on the side 41558.