I Forge Iron

Second Greetings

Gonsind

Good evening IFI!

I'd like to start off by mentioning I'm already a member of this forum, but my activity has been spotty and I haven't actually been talking much with people around here. I've managed to drag myself back on here more often so I thought I'd make another one of these (also by recommendation).

My name is Caleb, I live in Northern North Carolina, USA. Sometime last year I had said I wanted to get into forging and joined up here, but never got too serious into it. Recently I've been kicking myself in the butt to actually start working on things like meeting up with a group so I can learn some things hands-on. Sadly, I can't make the next meeting of my local group, so I won't have the opportunity to meet with a group for a while. However, I was advised that I should ask about any local singular people instead of any big group meetings if I can't make them - that being said, I'm looking to meetup with anybody near the Raleigh area for as much time as you're willing to give me! I'm still fairly ignorant to most things about this subject, so anything you could tell me would definitely help!

To anybody else reading/responding to this, I'm also open to information from you. I'm eager to learn and, at some point, start working on my own projects. What kind of stuff should I look up on? Any tips/advice from a more veteran person?

Anyways, that's all from me for now. Goodnight, and thank you in advance!

Welcome aboard! 

My only advice is to keep looking for someone local, get to meetings when you can, and otherwise spend as much time in the forge as you can. Focus on the basic techniques and developing your hammer control: that will affect everything else you do.