I Forge Iron

Project donation I made for a fundraiser

Hotshoein4 (Mark)

A fellow farrier and friend from southern Illinois is fighting brain cancer. At a horshoeing clinic, they also had a fundraiser for him. This was my contribution. Melted copper wire down to make it. Its a sidebone shoe. Therapeutic horseshoe. It raised some decent money for him. I just wanted to share with everyone. 

Mark

20170808_202633.jpg

I can't tell if you cast it into a billet or cast the shoe and then did the detail work.  I have no knowledge of how to work copper like that.  But, ho early, this doesn't seem the forum to ask you to explain yourself.  This was about something more important than me learning a technique.  Thanks though.

Lou

I poured it into a mild to make a billet. It was about 16" long, 1 1/4" wide and 1"thick. Abouts. I also included another picture of what happens when you work it cold. Kind of a neat grain structure. It likes to be hot and loses heat quick. A lot of heats and not many blows. It's time consuming, but awesome when you figure it out. It likes to crack and split. Keep it hot. Red. I couldn't find much on the internet about it, so I figured it out on my own. Lots of failures. Haha

20170706_191227.jpg

20170707_125700.jpg

• 2 weeks later...