I Forge Iron

Collaboration blanks round 6

TheoRockNazz

Been slow showing progress except a few pics of the 2" x 72" belt grinder I've been building. Well, it's finally functioning, still needs some tweaks but it grinds. I probably should've picked something less important to me to adjust the grinder but I didn't. Here are a couple pics of the collaboration Long Seax I'm finishing. The blems are mine.

The black line is an artifact of the photo editor I have, don't know how it got there. The platten on the grinder got bumped in and the top roller ground the dip towards the tang before I noticed. I also let the pressure drift towards the edge so I have more work to even the cheeks.

599922657cd98_Seaxgrind01.jpg.ad16257c8df3c9d1798bcbb7ec5e10de.jpg

Trying to keep the glare down from the overheads in the living room I over did it. It's more even and centered than it looks here, the cheeks are a little off but closer than they look. The spine is still a bit over 1/4" so I have room to correct before developing the grinds.

59992271ae3a0_Seaxgrind02.jpg.a58406b5ac43bc0d1bc93e3428471163.jpg

Frosty The Lucky.

Been figuring out the quirks my grinder likes to play on me but my skills are coming along. I've cleaned out the last of the hammer marks and my early bobbles. Well the worst of my bobbles I have a couple new ones but I'm working on them.

Frosty The Lucky.

59a3bfc479c10_Seaxgrind03.jpg.6d4c12fe76bb1ac0cf35a2480df084a4.jpg

59a3bfd1e1232_Seaxgrind04.jpg.261d895bd377497cc123209221d57d90.jpg

:D Wait till you see the wood. 

Today I picked up some silicon bronze for the guard and pommel. What brand or type silver solder will stick bronze and steel without running the temper too far? I'll be fitting everything close, interference close maybe and I'm not worried about the pommel. The guard is awfully close to the edge though.

Are the low temp, low to mid 400f range ones strong enough for functional guards? 

Frosty The Lucky.

The little coil and flux in the plastic tube, kit, Stay Brite? Cool that's on the shelf close by for under $10.00! Well, so much for searching the interwebs and talking to the guys at the welding supplies!  Now I know what to look at the specifics on the Harris site says it's THE stuff. I should've skipped all the "research it myself before asking" I've been HARPING at folk to do. Next time I'm just asking! :rolleyes: REALLY, I read till my eyes bled and just spent several hours walking around the big welding supplies in Anchorage after spending time talking to the ones in Wasilla to no avail. One of the problems is Stay Brite kits are everywhere but the package doesn't say what it's liquidus is or what it'll bond and it's always in the plumbing section. 

A liquidus of 430f  will be an easy HAZ to stop at the tang and protect the heat treat Theo worked so hard on. :D

Thank you, thank you Buzzkill! I take back all the bad things I said about you. . . Every one, honest. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Don't worry, it's a clever ploy to lull the unsuspecting into my web of curmudgeonlyness. I never thought of a card, I may have it added to my card next tine I have a batch printed up. Hmmmmm, Certified Curmudgeonator?

Frosty The Lucky.