I Forge Iron

Commercial Forge Recommendations Take Two

Balyrion

This is take two, the mods apparently closed the first attempt due to inclusion of a screenshot of the Diamondback website. PS Mods, why was the screenshot removed and the thread closed. I understand removing the screenshot, I was also offended by it, but I still would greatly appreciate the advice of members on anything I may be overlooking.

Read the other thread and the IFI TOS. rather than just posting and you would know that there is no need to have 2 threads on the same suibject.  Also repeating his foul language could have gotten you a warning for ToS violation as well, we didnt due to the outrage his posts have been getting all over the net today, but still no excuse to cuss even if it was a quote. I am aware there were more than one subject to that post, but I cant lock only half of it

Hi All,

New member just getting started in blacksmithing. I made the decision to use a gas forge and to buy rather than build as I am lucky enough to be able to afford it and am more interested in getting to hammering than I am in fiddling with a new forge. I had made the decision to purchase a Diamondback but when I went to their site today I was greeted with some racist nonsense that makes me unwilling to give them my business. This is quite unfortunate as they seem to offer a good well regarded product. The next best I have been able to find are the Chile models. I was hoping some of you could weigh in with anything I might be overlooking.

To briefly cover what my end goal is, I would like to eventually do some bladesmith work, although I also have interest in some practical and artistic work. I have not done any blacksmithing yet, so I am very new, very green, and am sure I am missing much needed information. Realistically my goal here is a quality product I won't have to do much fiddling with while I learn, I am okay if I grow out of it in a year or two, just want something to get me started as easily as possible. 

Hi Balyrion. 

If you want to make knifes, a gas forge will do, if you want to make bigger decorative stuff, you may have difficulties fitting what you make inside a gas forge, particularly scrolls or other larger pieces. 

A cheaper way to get started is with a coal forge, If you can place the forge outside the shop, you can forego the need for a chimney.

Gas is very convenient but has it's limitations unless you build a monster forge, and then it will suck a lot of fuel. 

What other tools have you got? Or do you need to buy everything?

As for political statements, if politically correct or incorrect, I wouldn't worry about them too much. Everyone has an opinion and likes to express it. You can agree or disagree. After all no political comments is a political comment in itself. Blacksmithing is more interesting though. 

Welcome aboard Balyrion, glad to have you.

Iforgeiron.com is private property, the owner has every right, in fact obligation, to restrict behavior to maintain peace and family friendly standards. Sex, Religion, politics, are well known as "POISON" subjects by responsible business owners. Regardless what some. . . one tells you to the contrary these subjects are NOT permitted, nor are links to sites containing banned content. Nor personal advertisements without paying for the privilege of using Iforge bandwidth to advertise. 

Don't worry we all make slips and get edited, Admin won't hold it against you unless you start making a habit of it.

Majestic make good forges, NC Whisper line are good, the Chili line are more modern and by what you hear here perform better. I hear mixed things about Devil Forge but they seem to work pretty well.

I make my own gas forges so I have to repeat what I've heard though I've used a 2 burner, Whisper Momas on more than one occasions and they're pretty nice for old liner design forge. I've used a 2 burner Majestic a number of times and it does the job but could use a more modern liner.

There is a lot more information and testimony by guys who use all kinds of gas forges in the gas forge section of IFI. Some of us can't seem to stop talking about t he things in fact. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Yep, I was simply trying to make it clear that DB was not an option for me since they are highly recommended around here and seem to be the go to recommendation for gas forges. I gave up and just ordered the Chile, seems like this became about something entirely different than I intended and I just moved on. Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it.

Chile forges are expensive; and IMHO worth every penny. However, I don't agree with the prices on their stands, nor for paying the shipping costs for those heavy monstrosities. For that kind of money, you could buy, and pay for shipping on, a heavy duty stainless steel shop cart. If we are going to pay more, we should receive more.

I felt pretty awkward about the whole subject, and am sure the idiot who decided to put on a nasty rant through a commercial site is reaping what he sowed, I'm glad that the member shelved his anger, and continued on toward achieving his original goal, despite his outrage at the affront; it makes me feel all happy inside :D

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Now how many of use have worn a flannel shirt to forge or weld in and had the "warm fuzzies" light and burn off without lighting the shirt itself on fire?

I love how it freaks the office folk out.

Frosty The Lucky.

Chile forges are outstanding in terms of quality and performance.  I have used one professionaly and was very impressed with the performance. Good customer service on the phone as well. I am not affiliated in any way with them, just an honest review.  Never used the other brand, and now I never will, from the photos it looked like quality suffered to make a price point.  

Sometimes the "warm fuzzies" burning off a flanel shirt are the toxic and flamable fabric preservatives sprayed on the fabric during production.  Wash your clothes after buying.  

I don't currently use a gas forge (I'm a coal guy), but after seeing his page/website and his dissertation on customer service, I would never buy a DB gas forge if I needed one.  There are plenty of alternatives out there, store-bought or self-made to buy one of his.

On August 18, 2017 at 5:40 PM, Judson Yaggy said:

Sometimes the "warm fuzzies" burning off a flanel shirt are the toxic and flamable fabric preservatives sprayed on the fabric during production.  Wash your clothes after buying.  

Heavy use of those dryer sheets will also leave a flammable surface to clothes.  My ex used to love tossing in 4 sheets per dryer load so I've been "burning man" more than once.

Welding helmet on and welding away--starts to feel weirdly warm--lift helmet and see that a blue flame is creeping up the whole front and back of your shirt.  The flame doesn't burn particularly aggressively but it is enough to make one need an underwear change metaphorically.

19 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

I'm sorry you feel that way, since they are a good forge. However, that is your right, and sorry or not, I understand it.

It is too bad Mike, they are good forges but words have consequences. The business's owner has every right to voice his and deal with the results. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 8/18/2017 at 11:49 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Now how many of use have worn a flannel shirt to forge or weld in and had the "warm fuzzies" light and burn off without lighting the shirt itself on fire?

I had an acolyte catch fire once when his sleeve got in the censer.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

It is too bad Mike, they are good forges but words have consequences. The business's owner has every right to voice his and deal with the results. 

All to true, but involving this forge is kind of reminiscent of the bread always falling on the buttered side; really irritating :angry:

Oh well, there is always an oval shaped Devil forge for Xmas; then I can up date it with some of the new materials, and come back with a reasonable alternative for overpriced turn-key commercial forges.

Greetings Blyrion / others

I see by your profile that you are from Michigan..  I have several gas forges but one of my favorites is made right here in Mich . 

I  guess it is OK to mention the manufacture .  Mankel ... Great forge and super support..   Look it up on the web..  Good Luck

Forge on and make beautiful things    

Jim

3DED4F89-4292-4134-8321-2834FBA187F2.JPG

Mankel has been a major player in the gas forge business for I don't know how long. I don't know why I don't think of them when people ask about gas forges.

Restaurant going out of business sales or remodels are a good source of stainless benches, stands, etc. I like how Jim used the ball clamp lab(?) stand base to make the helper. 

The more I look at the pic the more forge set up envy I'm feeling. 

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I like how Jim used the ball clamp lab(?) stand base to make the helper. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On a side note, at pawn shops and sometimes "school" surplus auctions, one can often pick up adjustable music stands cheap as dirt.  Also, there are sometimes the articulating stands used for things like the cymbals on drum kits.  All can be very handy to convert to helpers for such things.  Once you open your eyes to those, you start seeing them all over.

Oooh, music stands, cool. I have a small pile of work zone sign standards i picked out of the dumpster when they bought the new improved model. They're heavy duty but take up a lot of floor space so I dismantled the folding spring loaded legs and use them mostly to support long stock in the cut off saw or drill press. Oh I picked a length of roller conveyor out of a dumpster too, I really wish I'd grabbed it all but I was driving my Eagle Talon so one was it. 

The world is full of good stuff getting tossed every day.

Frosty The Lucky.