I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

Oh, and beware of that crackling and spitting anthracite: I have a scar under my right eye from a piece that flew out of the fire and stuck to the skin of my face. (I also once got hit by a piece that flew out of the forge while my back was turned and went down the cleft where my back changes name, if you know what I mean. Last time I ever did any smithing shirtless.)

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im back

12 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

You will learn, pain is a wonderful teacher.

iv'e learnt my lesson plenty of times and im starting to get used to the pain

seriously like if i get a match put to my skin i don't really feel anything sparks too but i usetacould

Cooling the effected area minimizes the damage, your meat continues to cook after you remove it from the fire. Just like a stake from the grill. So cool first, then ointment and dress. Do not use patrolium jelly based ointment on 2nd/3rd degree burns. It will interfear with treatment, and subsequent healing. Same goes for cuts. If it's bad enugh to need stitches don't slather it with ointment, as the dock will have to scrub the heck out of it to get rid of the grease before sewing it up. 

1 hour ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Most of us laugh at the Mexican waiters warning about hot plates...

Yes thats for sure! I also have to remind my self when people are in my shop who dont forge that there meaning of hot and mine arent the same.

Littleblacksmith 

well im gonna check the starter on the truck because it might be that cause it is pulling the battery down and i dont know if today i might do some blacksmithing or maybe not cause i heard it was gonna rain all day this week so  i might not get started on that trammel until this weekend and i got to go to the shop to go get my pallets that littleblacksmith suggested i use. so i got nothing to do today much im still in school but we basically do nothing.

So ask your teacher if you can work on a special project and research blacksmithing!  Say a book report on "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" by Alexander Weygers.  You may have to ILL it from the public library; but most teachers love it when students want to do *more* than just get by!

Well we tried.  Life seldom excels for people who just show up. The more skills you have under your hat the more you can take advantage of opportunities others can't. I've had to change careers several times over the decades: Geologist, apprentice swordmaker, factory worker, hardware support for telecommunications, software testing for telecommunications, Software Integration Engineer for Astrophysical research, Validation Engineer for a computer company---you can sort of tell when my second degree a BS  in CIS kicked in...I've had a lot of fun and done more crazy things than I will admit to on a public forum; but by showing enthusiasm and doing more than get by I have been picked for things like spending a month in Jakarta Indonesia (I had a $6000 hotel bill there!) or 89 days in Germany, both doing installations (company flew over my wife and kids to keep me focused on the job and they had a 6 week vacation in Southern Germany).  I've greatly appreciated having benefits and being paid enough that I can buy a Bader or power hammers.

Give some thought about your trajectory...

That's true 

School only teaches a couple of skills math and what Little engineering classes they teach everything else is pointless except science and history, also career and technology those are what matter as actual skills. when is knowing Shakespeare going to help you in life physically 

i was never into English always hated it. its boring i mean who wants to sit through something they already know and know how to do. its pointless and if your ocd about grammar i dont really care if i misspell a word or few because as long as its readable then im OK with it

41 minutes ago, ryancrowe92 said:

That's true 

School only teaches a couple of skills math and what Little engineering classes they teach everything else is pointless except science and history, also career and technology those are what matter as actual skills. when is knowing Shakespeare going to help you in life physically 

Putting forth the effort to learn something you may not be interested in is the lesion. In life you end up having to learn plenty you don't want to but need to.  It's not all you need to learn in school. It's how much effort you put in to it. That you were willing to do it and do it well even tho you hated it. Thats the life lesson 

math and engineering have change my life for the better and you know how people are like how is this going to be useful and it is very useful and the STEM area is rapidly growing thanks to jobs like these and other ones in construction and manufacturing. They are the leading jobs that keep America running if road weren't built cities didn't have malls and knifes weren't made and etc. and truck drivers they haul loads from coast to coast to keep stores going and business afloat and they all involve math and science and most of the people who do those jobs are middle class working people who have families to feed and bills to pay. 

but enough of that back to blacksmithing I may fire up the new forge when i get it built thursday or friday maybe on the weekend ill go get the stuff thursday to make it