I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

Threads are only closed when there is a problem or a discussion needs to stop if it has gone totally off course from the original question. The reason that the threads are left open is that it is an on going discussion. Others read about the subject and may have specific questions, or material to add to the discussion later. This new post is sometimes months or years later. There is no reason to start a new thread and leave this information and resource in the archive.

We do scratch our head and wonder why you need an accelerant (diesel fuel) to start a fire. Usually a match, paper, or kindling is all that that is required. Man has been building and using fire well before matches and paper were invented. As to the use of oxygen, I will say that you are creative, which may not be the safe way of doing things. Normal atmospheric oxygen is required for combustion, but that is the rules the fire and mother nature have established. 

It is best to ask for advice, read and understand the advice, take it to the forge and see if the advice works. Works as in follow the advice step by step so you have a better chance to succeed. Then report back and let us know what happened so we can share in your success, or fine tune the process.

You need to think about a grate just a bit. The suggestion was 2 each 3/8 inch bolts welded or tack welded across the opening. To simplify things, just bend a bolt or rod to fit into two of the lug bolt holes and across the opening. Or build a Y shape to fit inside the rotor and across the opening at the intersection of the Y. There are many different ways to solve the problem, so start with the recommendations first, then ask if a substitute solution will work. Most all things have been tried before so there is no reason to reinvent the wheel when round has been proven to be the best option.

Yes it would be nice to have 5 weekends and 2 work days in a week. But we have to work with what we have available. (grin)

The thread is not dead. If you check there have been 547 replies and 10,082 views to date. This will continue as soon as you get a chance to fix the grate problem, build a fire, and report back to us.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funny thing was, while I was reading Mr. Power's post I couldn't help but look down and read JHCC's squirrel in all caps, bolded, and underlined! haha

Littleblacksmith 

On 11/29/2017 at 1:26 PM, Frosty said:

Because you're just the OP, you don't own the thread.

Frosty The Lucky.

that kinda makes some sense.

any way i got to wait till next weekend i got to find out why the pipe is clogging up.

got a good heat and done some stuff with that.

No reason to start a new thread when the existing thread has a wealth of information already covered on the subject. When the discussion ends the thread moves into the site archive on its own. Later a new viewer can read the thread and all the material it contains and add additional material, or ask a specific question if needed. It makes the site a resource that improves with age.

You are trying to figure out why the pipe is clogging up. This involves locating (use of a flashlight) and clearing an obstruction in the air pipe in the forge (use a stick or metal rod). You then use a match and set a piece of paper on fire to light the cardboard and start a fire.

Torch keeps making a loud boom sound when i light it, any ideas why? 

You are using a flashlight, a stick, and a match. The torch is not involved.

• 3 weeks later...

hey ya'll merry Christmas. now i know its been awhile since Ive been here but im gonna take a break from this because we got to get wood and fix my truck and im on my break so i got some work to do. but i will post my finished creation on here. when i get it finished so till then have a good christmas

• 2 months later...

hey guys sorry for not posting but guess what i got one side done and im going to start on the otherside tomorrow or the next day i have stuff to get but heres what happened over the long pause.

School:  Got it sorted out and i now leave at 2:00 instead of 315

Truck: it now works put an new gear driven starter

now thanks to all of you who helped with this i cant get any images up just yet maybe not till the middle of the month but they will come.

i think i have found a part time job too

also im 17 years and 3 days old now

Now since I have some time and please forgive my spelling but here is a more accurate description of what when on over the long break I took.

what happened at school is that I did not get withdrawn from the IEP but I did get a shortened class time with the tutorial lab. I got into independent Spanish study which I don't have to go to a class for and I don't have a fourth block and that is why I can leave at 2:00. The truck I put a new gear driven starter and it now works but I got it stuck the other day and I now have to get a power steering belt for it. The Forge got another redesign and it is now fully functional with the exception that is has too much airflow I bought a proper blower. Now I don't have a phone to take photos yet but maybe around the 16th I might so I can take some photos of the tongs. With that said our birthday was last Thursday and we are 17 years old and the part time job I'm still finding out about hopefully today. In Economics we are looking at starting a bissnuess and we are looking at starting a forging operation and selling stuff at the flea market and making money that will be in another thread 

but I'm glad to be back on the forums. 

Nice to see you back, ryancrowe92. Keep us posted on developments.

As for the airflow on your forge, there are a number of threads on the solid fuel forges section that talk about how to regulate airflow, from cutting it down to dumping some of the air. Check it out.

yes its good to be back and I will have some pictures up later in the moth when I get my phone.

and I am probably going to be doing mass production. or something close to it 

also new update the side I had finished has to have some work done to it.