I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which direction is it bending? I'll bet it's curving up which means you're holding the work too high. This is probably one of the most common beginner problems, lower your holding hand. As you gain skill you won't even have to think about it you will automatically correct, we've all been there, welcome to the club. ;)

If it's curving towards or away from your hammer hand you're striking more heavily on the outside of the curve. Away means you're "healing" the hammer, towards you means you're "toeing" the hammer.

Heal and toe refer to one of the 4 sides of the hammer face, quadrant in the case of a round hammer face to be correct. Healing a blow means the handle side of the hammer face is low. Toeing the blow means the opposite or far side is lower. Heal and toe just like your foot. Rolling blows. Rolling the blow inside means the side of the hammer's face closest to you is low, rolling it outside means the far side is low. This is a matter of your grip and practice. It's easy to test by laying a piece of wood on the anvil and striking it, the dent should ideally be even all round.

If you are consistently healing blows your anvil is too high for you, if you are consistently toeing blows it's too low.

Does that make sense? 

Hey Charles, we're running on the same time. Watching the eclipse? It's cloudy enough here we can take quick glances without hurting our eyes. It's about 40% here.

Frosty The Lucky.

Not realy, saw all I realy need to see last time one came around and I was in school. Things are starting to take on that cool blue tenge tho.

We'll talk about an optical illusion. I have been seeing what was a modern art version  of a close up of "machete" and just now Ryan's avatar turns to a picture of two nice looking young men. I obviously have been neglecting my coffee. 

Eclipse is about over here, just a pinky clipping sliver left and getting too bright to even glance. I'm about 20 miles due north of Anchorage like that matters.

Yeah, get yourself another cup of coffee, Ryan and Brother have pretty normal looking selfie for an AVATAR. It'd be a pleasure and honor to have them over for some hammer time.

Frosty The Lucky.

22 hours ago, Frosty said:

Which direction is it bending? I'll bet it's curving up which means you're holding the work too high. This is probably one of the most common beginner problems, lower your holding hand. As you gain skill you won't even have to think about it you will automatically correct, we've all been there, welcome to the club. ;)

If it's curving towards or away from your hammer hand you're striking more heavily on the outside of the curve. Away means you're "healing" the hammer, towards you means you're "toeing" the hammer.

Heal and toe refer to one of the 4 sides of the hammer face, quadrant in the case of a round hammer face to be correct. Healing a blow means the handle side of the hammer face is low. Toeing the blow means the opposite or far side is lower. Heal and toe just like your foot. Rolling blows. Rolling the blow inside means the side of the hammer's face closest to you is low, rolling it outside means the far side is low. This is a matter of your grip and practice. It's easy to test by laying a piece of wood on the anvil and striking it, the dent should ideally be even all round.

If you are consistently healing blows your anvil is too high for you, if you are consistently toeing blows it's too low.

Does that make sense? 

Hey Charles, we're running on the same time. Watching the eclipse? It's cloudy enough here we can take quick glances without hurting our eyes. It's about 40% here.

Frosty The Lucky.

It's actually on the ground I had it on cinder blocks but they broke x4 and I tried to lay it straight across the anvil and strike it with a straight pein hammer using the face of the hammer 

22 hours ago, John in Oly, WA said:

Took me a while to see the two young men in Ryan's avatar as well Charles. I was seeing the close-up of a single face for quite a while.

That was me and my brother on our 15 birthday a Japanese restaurant I'm the one in the suit from a thrift store. We had a pretty good time till money started being handed out and he ended up with 170 and me with around 120 don't remember what I spent it on. 

But last weekend I got stuff from harbor freight like gloves an nessecities (can't spell) and looking for a new oxy acetlene torch the 18 in one they had was cutting only

One of these days when the doctor releases me I am going to try to make some tongs out of farriers nippers that I have. Oh yeah the dr. says that hammering might cause vibrations that would interfere with my spinal fusion!!!!!!!!!!!! I offered to buy an Estwing hammer with a cushion grip My wife smacked me.

I picked up one of these cheap oxy/acetylene kits off eBay for about $86. It's not great, but it cuts okay and that's mainly what I bought it for. I'm no gas welder.

If you do get one like this, make sure it's a kit that each torch tip has the coupler nut on the end. Some have just one attached to the rosebud torch and the welding tips are just the bare threaded end. What a pain it would be to have to change that every time.

s-l1600.jpg

Bud: I'll see if I can shoot some decent pics of how I hold a hammer, it doesn't conduct ANY impact forces to my joints. It takes a little practice to gain control but it's also a more powerful want to swing a hammer.  

Ryan: Are you two twins? I may be misreading what you say but that's the impression I'm getting and I'm getting to the point of trying to get everything straight I can.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Bud: I'll see if I can shoot some decent pics of how I hold a hammer, it doesn't conduct ANY impact forces to my joints. It takes a little practice to gain control but it's also a more powerful want to swing a hammer.  

Ryan: Are you two twins? I may be misreading what you say but that's the impression I'm getting and I'm getting to the point of trying to get everything straight I can.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah but we look nothing alike but if I start hammering then in a few hits I'm tired so if it can keep me form being tired every few hits the I welcome it

Yes, just take it to the local welding supply, they'll even inspect it for you and might not charge for the O ring. 

If you're getting tired in just a couple minutes use a LIGHTER hammer! I don't even let beginners use more than a 2lb. hammer till they'v built up to it. Please take care while you're young and heal quickly. Believe me you'll pay for any damage you do yourself now, us old farts can list the ailments we've done ourselves and pay for now. No fooling, don't get us started comparing, aches, pains and worn out bits! :o

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Yes, just take it to the local welding supply, they'll even inspect it for you and might not charge for the O ring. 

If you're getting tired in just a couple minutes use a LIGHTER hammer! I don't even let beginners use more than a 2lb. hammer till they'v built up to it. Please take care while you're young and heal quickly. Believe me you'll pay for any damage you do yourself now, us old farts can list the ailments we've done ourselves and pay for now. No fooling, don't get us started comparing, aches, pains and worn out bits! :o

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm using a 3lb cross pein hammer I was using a 4 lb Sledge hammer cutoff handle and I get wat you mean I don't feel the same like I used to.  But it mostly because of the environment I work in

I got picturesIMG_20170822_180224.thumb.jpg.a37fe290bfbf3d79bca85035c746de6f.jpgForge, Hammer, and rebarIMG_20170822_180308.thumb.jpg.bda96638e16fc7773db3af5d285d1a25.jpgIMG_20170822_180248.thumb.jpg.e924dab342a049a3b4887769b668e5f3.jpg

Those are WAY too heavy! The myth you need a heavy hammer do blacksmith is pure ego. The smiths who routinely swing heavy hammers often are also suffering joint damage. Save the 3lb. till you're at least 18 and put a double jack handle on the 4lb. your brother can strike for you.

You can do plenty of good work with a 2lb. hammer. Doing good work and lots of it is a matter of control, NOT power. Making every blow count for as much as it has to give will get you much farther much faster in a session than swinging a great big hammer. You can build good habits and learn sound techniques if your tools don't exhaust you in a few minutes. Being good at this craft isn't about being strong, it's about being accurate.

The clowns on Youtube telling folk they should use BIG hammer are just people with a camera and connection, their expertise doesn't go much if any farther. 

Seriously, take a few bucks and hit the yard sales, you'll find what you need. Honest, I haven't bought a hammer in a store since I needed the framing hammer when we were building the house almost 19 years ago now. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Vikings used 1 1/2-2# hammers. I weird a 3# pretty well but I'm 6'2" 140# and 49 years old. Put a long handle back on your 4 pounder and go looking for a lighter hammer. Our British friends have a liking for ball piens so don't discount them, and they can have the ball pein reforged to cros and strait piens. Rounding hammers are also an option

Well the YouTube channel I watch for blacksmithing is purgatory ironworks (forged in fire S1 Ep2) and the 3lb is the only straight pein hammer I could find in the store and I'm 6'5" and 320lbs and the sledgehammer is my 8# the 4 is a mallet  it came that way wen I bought it and I'm thinking of ting the forge but I ran out of pipe and I'm meeting the plastic on my $12 heatgun

If you can find a #2 hammer for a couple of bucks at a flea market, that's going to do just fine for now. Remember: accuracy first, power second!

If you're watching Trenton Tye's YouTube channel, you've probably seen his recent videos about using chunks of junkyard steel as anvils. If not, definitely worth checking out; certainly better than cinder blocks (if only in terms of durability). One thing, though: here on IFI, when we say "ASO" or "Anvil-Shaped Object", we generally mean something that looks like an anvil, but doesn't work like one (for example, one of those cast iron monstrosities from Harbor Freight), but when Mr. Tye says "ASO", he means something that works like an anvil, but doesn't look like one. Here on IFI, we would usually call that an "improvised anvil" or a "block anvil".

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

If you can find a #2 hammer for a couple of bucks at a flea market, that's going to do just fine for now. Remember: accuracy first, power second!

If you're watching Trenton Tye's YouTube channel, you've probably seen his recent videos about using chunks of junkyard steel as anvils. If not, definitely worth checking out; certainly better than cinder blocks (if only in terms of durability). One thing, though: here on IFI, when we say "ASO" or "Anvil-Shaped Object", we generally mean something that looks like an anvil, but doesn't work like one (for example, one of those cast iron monstrosities from Harbor Freight), but when Mr. Tye says "ASO", he means something that works like an anvil, but doesn't look like one. Here on IFI, we would usually call that an "improvised anvil" or a "block anvil".

I have an anvil I was using the cinder blocks to get it to where I can reach it and I have one of those harbor freight monstrositys and what I've seen is that it like to work hot or it will put a dent in it but I got a peice of junk steel on top of it