I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

Charles, I had a 21+ speed (don't remember exactly as that was 10+ years ago) and I bought a speedometer for it just for fun. I averaged about 40mph on the flats but could change the gears and could really get moving if I tried hard enough. I had no issue with going 40 since I found the right gear where I had minimal effort to maintain it. I miss that old bike sometimes and thought about getting another one but I don't live where it's safe to ride to work now. The highway I travel for work is a 55 zone for roughly 10 miles and the hills and the blind curves could easily get me killed. On top of that the guy I give a ride home in the evenings probably doesn't want to ride 8 miles on the handlebars. :) 

Ryan, my favorite 4lb forging hammer was a roadside find. My wife and I were coming  home from town and we were slowing down for a stop sign when I saw it. She jumped out of the truck before I could even say anything because she saw it too. We are always watching for roadside treasures. You look long enough you never know what you'll find. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Yea, mufflers and tail pipes fall off too. Lol. I spot stuff from the truck, horse back, cart/wagon etc. walking is better as you see so much more at a 3 MPH.  

You get enough pieces of tailpipe, you can weld together all the tuyere you'll need.

I've found 1/2" round stock, pieces of chain (most recently a 16' tow chain with both hooks), a cargo deck (the kind that fits in a tow bar receiver), a couple of bales of hay, the list goes on and on....

Not long ago I was with a friend and saw a larger ( not coil) spring on the side of the road at a stop sign. Asked her to grab it and she did. We were just about to get on the highway when a police officer who was coming off the off ramp to the highway must have seen us pulled us over on the on ramp. He asked what we were doing. I explained what I did and that I was a blacksmith and that it was good steel and asked him if he wanted to see it. He said yes so she held up the busted spring and he basically said have a nice day and let us on our way. 

Right: leaf spring. Got a bunch of pieces of that, too. My last forging session, I used a chunk to make a wide hot chisel.

ACB4009B-2DAC-4A58-B6EC-A23CF3D2D595.jpeg

I had a state trooper give me a talking-to about pulling over to snag some wire a few months ago. Two weeks later and half a mile up the road, she gave me the first speeding ticket I've ever gotten in my life. Grrr....

On 11/15/2017 at 10:26 PM, Daswulf said:

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink

You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make him think.

On 11/16/2017 at 5:39 PM, ryancrowe92 said:

really you find this on the side of the highway

It's called Blacksmith Road Kill.:)

11 hours ago, ryancrowe92 said:

ill keep that in mind

11 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

However if you have several fail in a short time then there is definitely a problem to be addresses---like a bad component

Look for damaged wiring. Mice love to chew up wiring.

On 11/16/2017 at 9:11 PM, Charles R. Stevens said:

99 % of cop are good people doing a a stressful job for an unappreciated public. 

cops are under  apprecciated and have the worst publicity and backlash

now guess what i found out how to do this for 6 bucks what i already paid for the rotor i found some 1/4 inch angle iron  for the flange and some square tubing for a tee so its 6 bucks

i kinda thought about being a cop

cops and robbers fun game me and my brother played when we were young

On 11/18/2017 at 11:40 AM, ryancrowe92 said:

i kinda thought about being a cop

cops and robbers fun game me and my brother played when we were young

Speaking as a retired LEO after 30 years, I can tell you that a GED will not cut it on an application to be a police officer/deputy sheriff.  Most agencies now want at least two years of college on top of a high school diploma.  The old game of "cops and robbers" bears no resemblance to police work today.