I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan, life is what happens wile you make other plans. We get this. Can you show us a sketch of your forge plan and walk us threw it? as we want this to succeed this will help us help you buy providing with feed back with out you learnings the hard way and having to cut things apart and re fab. 

Sounds like a squirrel cooker is in your future 

ok @Charles R. Stevens I'm gonna get a brake rotor then I'm going to go to the ace hardware to get some pipe nipples a tee and an endcap, plus a flange to put on the rotor the flange is going to be welded to the rotor then the pipe threading will do the rest with the help of some thread tape. After which I shall pick up my brother on Thursday thanksgiving with hopefully a load of coal on the back of the truck and at which point we will begin disassembling a lawnmower to get the mower deck off of and then proceed to use the oxy-acetylene torch to cut a hole in the deck making a table then spot welding that with a mig welder. then finding some steel to make the legs is a problem I haven't solved yet.

You do Not need thread tape. In fact you don't even have to really tighten the fittings. Just hand tight is good. For the bottom ash dump you can pick up an exhaust flap cap at tsc and weld a bolt or something on it to weight it closed. Because 1 it will be upside down and 2 so you can lift it to dump the ash and clinker that accumulates in there. 

Yeah, I made mine. I just mentioned the flap cap because it's easy and you seem to like spending money. :) Lol really it already has the part to attach it. But making one isn't hard either. 

Pictured below is the one I made. It could be nicer but I was in git-er-done mode. It works great. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I priced 2" black pipe fittings about a month ago, 2" fittings and nipples ran about $10 each (some more some less). Reason one I am not a fan of the brake drum/rotor forge. Folks assume its function, there for I must be talking out of my butt.  Nope, it's expense, tools and time to fabricate a usable forge plus not being particularly charcoal friendly. Some times you just don't have coal or it is so "dirty" it is hard to weld in or it causes unwanted changes in tool steel, so it's still a fuel that you should keep in the back of your mind. 

Infact let's examin bottom blast forges a moment. In the below pictures do you see a fire pot? Not acualy a nesesity. I know we have shown you Glenn's simple 55 forge and him fabricating a tuyere out if exaust pipe. A local exaust shop would probably fab up a tuyer for you cheep, or having a torch and welder a piece of 2" thinwall square pipe becomes a tuyere fast enugh. In the example Das shows you he is using a rear rotor with a drum style parking break. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

In the above example the cast iron pan is not nessisary, if you clay a drain pan (to keep the galvi from burning off).

the reason I continue to advocate the sideblast is that 3/4" schedual 40 pipe is easy to come buy, and even if you have to buy a nipped it's less than $10, add on a $10 pump and a $10 oil drum...  the only thing you probably have to buy is a $10 pump and scrounge a couple of pallets. We where we are at here? You have little money to spare and you want to spend $100 fabbing up a forge wile I can scrounge up the parts to build one as effective for $20 (if I buy the tuyere

Why the niples, "T" and flange? $10 each remember? If you cut a piece of 2" pipe in two pieces, cut a hole in the side of one close to the end and cut a fish mouth on the other so they fit close enugh to weld up you have tuyere. It can be welded to a piece of plate (1/8" is plenty thick) or just weld two nuts to it to attach to the bottom of a tub. It can also be Barrie's in a box of dirt with one end sticking out the side, the other out the bottom and dirt filled in untile the top of the other end is flush with the top of the dirt. 

You seem to be locked in to just one possibility, I think you saw a you tube video of some one building a brake drum forge and now can't see any other way. I get tunnel vision like that some times too.

14 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

So, you have a welder... Why not spent that money on something like good forging steel or coal and weld up a T out of really cheap or free pipe. 

I bought the welder at the time it was good for what I paid for it I've welded the crap out of stuff with it and I've only gone thru 1 60lb roll of flux wire with it 

and I'm still looking into a good place to get the steel 

@Charles R. Stevens

I never said I had little money I just said I don't have a lot of it. 

now I don't know if you know this but I cant get out like the rest of the adult world.

wished I could but I have to have somebody with me when I drive. and It goes on and on but the only thing I have to buy is a couple of nipples, a tee, and a flange, for about $50.

and what is a 

6 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

tuyere

now bear with me for a moment 

I might be getting out of this Tutorial Lab class I don't know yet the Iep lady that I dislike strongly was talking to my grandpa today in class and I got pulled from my work to get back in her class which I preceded to do nothing for the remainder of the period.

so it going to be over about the Monday after thanksgiving I just have to hold out till then

2 minutes ago, Jasent said:

If you go with square tube as suggested it's easy to make your T. That is if your dead set on the bottom draft. Side blast I think is prob the cheapest design with the least amount of work

I actually thought of doing that I might still do it but id have to weld it to the pipe find some sides to go on it and weld that but Ill think about it 

now at about 3:15 I'm leaving to go to ace or I'm going to try to and stop by Napa to get a flasher for my truck.

On 11/16/2017 at 2:03 PM, ThomasPowers said:

DatWulf, forge that arm weight into a dragon's head!

Excellent idea Thomas. As soon as I get ok at making them :)

The ReStore is a good place to find some things. Just watch the price. ( sometimes they are over priced.)  I actually found all the 2" black pipe fittings I wanted for my demo forge there for around $1.US each. 

I live 8 miles from town, and despite that fact I can walk out into my neighborhood and find everything I need for a forge just buy asking. I can also find forgible steel just as easy. I was a kid once, and my LPC's carried me miles from home. 

Now I know your getting frustrated because you think I am treating you like you are dumb and poor. Your a kid, your inexperienced, you lack 2/3 my experiance just in living and doing, 2/3 my experiance working and learning. I assume I know more than you because of this, not because I think your dumb. Takes a spart guy to keep an old truck alive. 

Second I know how little a part time job pays, and how expensive keeping that truck on the road is, much less buying drinks and snacks for yourself for and your little brother. We old farts were kids once, we had school, homework, chores, family obligations, learners permits etc. now we have jobs, families and homes to maintain. I get you think your excuses are  valid, and from the point of view of a teen age boy with a truck they are. From the view of a 50 year old man, who buy a roll of the genetic dice is on disability and therr for limited income they aren't valad because my experiance lets me see workarounds.

I am in no way trying to insult you, and just because I can see somthing in my head buy no means means I can effectively communicate it to you or anyone else. If you want to spend $50-70 (if you buy a flange, "T", a 4" niple, 6" niple and 8-12" nipple pluss an exaust cap you will be closer to $100) that's fine. My cheep self would not, especially when I could put $20 in my truck and take a young lady out to the movies and a burger (how the $&!! Did spell check get "surgery" out of "burger" ?!) with the other $60

6 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

My cheep self would not, especially when I could put $20 in my truck and take a young lady out to the movies and a surgery with the other $60

Now that's funny but I'm getting older the time just seems to fly now days. I'm still wondering what the xxxx happened to the first few years of mine when ya didn't have to worry about any thing but its not like that now. I have skills with welding, cutting, etc. and I'm looking to spending about 50 dollars on this forge I got a piece of sheet steel from an old table rack that was made from sheet steel. 

And I'm  probably going to wait till my brother comes over so he can do some of this stuff that he never gets to do. I got to pull a lawnmower out with the truck I have to put some gas in.

but I have to change the batterie in this laptop 

I'm back

Edited by Mod34
Edited for inappropriate language