I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the problems is trying to build a forge, and using multiple plans, is that the forge is not designed to work.

Choose a fuel that is available at your location, and cheap, and build a forge to use that fuel. Choose ONLY ONE forge design and build it according to plans. Then use the forge for a while until you can figure out how it works, the type heat it produces, and the good and bad points of that forge design. Modify it if needed to get the forge to do what YOU want.

Next choose a second forge design and build that forge according to plans. Then use the forge for a while until you can figure out how it works, the type heat it produces, and the good and bad points of that forge design. Modify it if needed to get the forge to do what YOU want.

You now have two forges that should work. You can then compare in real time which forge is better for different projects. 

There is no one perfect forge. You have to build and modify your forge to do the work you want done. It is a challenge, and is a learning experience. 

A lot of us were "that kid" way back when and hope they don't have to survive what we had to---though the scars on my hands do raise eyebrows with co-workers sometimes; especially when I tell them they are the "minor" ones!  (I tend to forget to remember to mention that most are from doing stupid things---stupid *does* hurt when you work with tools & fire!)

14 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

if you have any more of that patience to spare send some my way.  I ran out a while ago.

I lost it a bit but this thread has gone on so long that I got a second wind. It's been a very broad circle and we are finally coming back around to the forge, and I'm hoping to see some tongs made from rebar coming up. Then it will have come full circle.  :lol:

He has a forge that just needs a modification to get him hammering and not burning up his blower. I'm rooting for him. 

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

I'm hoping to see some tongs made from rebar coming up.

Truth is I'm hoping to see tongs made from something other than rebar. Rebar and it's inconsistencies has been discussed more than enough time on IFI that any time spent reading other topics would show it's inadequacies for forge work. 

My head is so full of ideas that I can't or don't have time to do/make due to whatever reason, I know. I still plan or try.  Sometimes it's just a matter of getting my head out of the box or somewhere else, and sometimes I just need a nudge or a push. Yup, Any progress is great sometimes. :) 

At least His temp. goals are Easily attainable if he just listens to some advice. 

I have a problem with my head getting lodged from time to time and need some help getting it broke free. I see others here trying to do that with people all the time. Trying hard to help people but when you read the discussion the wisdom is sitting there not being taken advantage of and it makes my head hurt. 

I know. For a while I gave up and even bit my tongue and deleted some responses I almost made but I'm going to give it a little more. He isn't coming off as arrogant, just maybe scatter brained and not getting it. As others said, we may have been there at a point in Our lives. If it continues with the non pertinent daily journal tho I may be swayed away. 

Maybe repetition will help. :) 

Ryan, Make the T Pipe On the air inlet on the forge you Have First. You mention having a welder, it's easy as pie with one. If it still doesn't work Then think about a different design. And as Glenn mentioned, pick ONE and build it to Those specs. And use it till you know it. Then you can say if it works for YOU, and what YOU make or not. 

And NO heated blowers. Or at least DO NOT Use the heated function. I don't know about cheaper heat guns but the higher end one I use at work has a blower only function. There are tons of cheaper blower options, like the pump Charles mentioned.

And you and I aren't scatterbrained, Das? Lol

Sadly splitting my patience between 3 kids struggling to find themselves and become smiths just about did it, for better or worse Oldschool has taken some of the pressure off when he self destructed. Ryan and Dillon are making progress tho some times I don't know how well I get what's in my head out threw my mouth. Threw their ears and into their brains. Wish I had 1/2 as much patience with kids as I do horses.

Haha. Yeah, I understand. OSB did self destruct. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink, kinda deal. And if he bites you and it's not your horse I guess you just gotta walk away.  All we can do is try. I'm nowhere near perfect or even very knowledgable. I Do know from my experiences and the help I've gained here and I'm trying to pay it forward. 

He mentions Trenton Tye. Funny enough, finding his vids on YT did give me more of the push to get my forge started.  He is Nowhere the be all end all. Just one opinion in a sea. Before that I thought I HAD to have a commercially made forge. It wasn't until I found Iforgeiron that I REALLY started learning things. This group has helped me much more then I could ever repay. After the reading and listening on here there isn't much I can't do if I really tried. Let alone learning life lessons :) 

Before I found IFI I never heard of JABOD. Keep spreading the word. I do to people I run across in daily life that say they don't have / can't make / a forge. I give them a boat load of options that I Now know of thanks to this site. There is a lot to be said of " there is only one right way to do anything , the way that works." I plan to try a JABOD one day but my brake rotor forge works great for me now. I never say it's The way but A way. 

Charles, I'm truly an antisocial person. Not that I can't be when I have to be but I feel awkward around people. I tend to be a bit more social in text then half the time hate that I said anything since I don't feel I convey my thoughts any which way. But again, I try. Lots of deleting included. Lol. 

With this thread and osbs, I have tried to listen to my mothers advice of " if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything."  I get to a point my mind is screaming. So I bite my tongue but also have to try. It's a forum. We can't be all over this planet to Show them. So we have to explain, and maybe try to reword it so maybe they get it. After that, there is nothing more we can do. 

Haha who are you calling good? That is a constant work in progress. Yup lol, fake it till you make it.:D

Seeing you work tooth in nail to get people on track to success inspires me. I have been into rpg but it's rare. I can say I have ups and downs. But always moving forward. I can put my mindset into others shoes. My way is shown in my actions  (I'd hope :) ) 

Yeah, I'm really hoping to see some kind of progress too. 

Well, I do see where I am and where I started, let alone where I came from. Sometimes before all this seems like a mirage. Another reason I sympathize is my father can't change a lightbulb tho he has taught me many "things" good or bad. I had grandparents to learn from but I was too bullish ( young and dumb) at the time to take much in or ask while they were around. Now it's just me. And the awesome help here to figure stuff out. ( outside but not limiting to my career in collision repair)  I'm addicted.  :) 

My own shoes?, I'm on the learning path, yet sharing what I know. I'm about to have a kid with a wonderful lady that doesn't want to stop me from my passions but I also understand that once the kid arrives that will be my one most important thing in life. I'm working on patience and self worth. Tho I might have that in check. I'm sure I'm missing things. :) be inspired, do, try, create, share, inspire. Go full circle. I dunno, I'm winging it lol. I'm sure we all do. 

Ok since I was out I haven't read all your comments yet but I will.

now I went to Greenville and the doc said I was fine gave me another prescription and I left went to bilo for some drinks and found utter disappointment. they didn't have the dew shine that me and my brother wanted but isn't sold in the dollar store anymore. but with that out of the way.

some of you have doubts about this forge plan I know but I'm pretty sure it will work because I'm getting a brake rotor a flange a tee and pipe to make it.

listen to this the coal isn't coming till next Thursday so I get to pick my brother up at thanksgiving and I have to get a new flasher for my truck.

I have to get some gas too. what else I got three squirrels with a shotgun and a  22 mag.  and that's about it 

I'm sorry for changing the forge design so much I'm just trying to find what works best for me but I am taking your advice on how to build it