I Forge Iron

Hand forged tongs from rebar

ryancrowe92

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who ever told you a bottom blast was superior to a side blast was blowing smoke... 

in many ways a side blast is superior to a bottom blast, and if the fuel is blowing out you need to figure out how to throughtle back the air, almost every electric blower you get will need that as they just move to much air for a small forge.

NPT stands for "Natinal Pipe Tread" it differs from the treads on nuts and bolts buy being taperd like a cone, so as you tighten it the spaces between the threads get taken up to make a water/gass tight conection

One of the first things we make for solid fuel is fire tools, a rake, a shovel and a poker. 

Not enugh space? Are you trying to heat 2"? You can only hand forge about 6" of steel at a time and the JOBD forge will heat 1" stock. 

But as we now have a plan moving forward of using a lawnmower deck (I have seen a few nice ones that took that rought) a shallow rotor  and coal will work rather well, they acualy look like some of the cast forges when you get done. Your big problem is still air management, you need somthing to restrict air from your blower ( be it a hair dryer or bath fan) 

We all use somthing to suport long stock, like the anvil (two reasons two have your anvil and forge hearth at the same hight, 1 we don't waste energy lifting stock from one to the other and we can use one or the other to suport long stock) look around and you will see that stock stands and brackets are common. I prefer 32"x60 hearths myself. 

Now as to the mower, you will need to close off the discharge hole (some mulchers either don't have one or a removable plate, problem solved) and keep your pot shallow or plan cut outs, or both. 

IMG_0343.JPG

A neets trick with bottom blast forges is to use a bullet grate (a large pipe cap 2"+ with a 3/4" hole drilled in the center. This will raise the center of the fire for general work (1" or less stock) wile living you the ability to pull it out and use the dealer fire pot and larger tuyere to make a larger fire and heat 2" stock. Another advantage is slag roles off the bullet grate and forges a ring like a donut ant dost block the air

Discharge hole, the place were the chopped up grass is spewed out. The big rectangular hole in the picture

1 hour ago, ryancrowe92 said:

yeah in my last forge design it worked extremely well.

if it had a tee in it

So, umm.. Why not put a T in the bottom pipe and a weighted flap cap on the ash dump ( bottom of the pipe) then your blower won't get ruined from ash and slag falling into it. 

A heat gun ( as stated before) is not helping you. Unless it has a function to just run the blower without the heat. 

Why do you keep dancing around a simple fix instead of actually forging those tongs that this thread started out about. 

There are hundreds of simple solutions to hold longer stock at the forge. Charles mentioned one. Quickly built sawhorse out of scrap lumber, a stick with a Y in it stuck in the ground....