I Forge Iron

Hammer eye punch for power hammer

Hello I am new to the forum and to blacksmithing.

I would like to try and make some hammers with my 100lb little giant but I cant find a hammer eye punch for the little giant. I have seen videos of guys using them like Paul Krzyszkowski just used in his double head axe video on you tube. Where would I find one of these punches for the PH or does some one have the dimensions of how to make one my self. Sorry like I said I am very new to blacksmith work and am trying to learn as much as I can. I am also trying to sigh up for some classes with Lyle Wynn for over the winter if he still is doing classes.  

Find the hammer handles you plan to use, get some H-13 or S-7 steel and CAREFULLY forge a SHORT  punch.  If you will be making your own handles make them like you like them.

I am a bit concerned that you can use a 100# LG but not know how to do the punch?  Sounds like some basics are lacking.

If you read what I said yes some basics are lacking. And that is why I joined the Forum and I am asking questions and looking to take the class with Lyle. I have been welding and machining metal for years and own quite a bit of equipment for someone that does not do it for a living. I love working with metal and have been using the PH to make Damascus that I will make blades with and I decided I would like to make my own hammers so I am I the process or research and learning how to make tooling to do so. Making tooling is a bit different the ornamental stuff and banging on railroad spikes so there for I will study and learn before I jump into it. Thank you for you input and concern but I am not some idiot that is going to hurt myself or damage a 97 year old power hammer

Making tooling is a lot like making knives in that the alloys and heat treat must be correct for what you are trying to do. Especially when you will be using more power! The high alloy steels are especially good for tooling that will be buried into glowing steel as they retain their hardness at high temperatures.  Do not quench them when using them though.

Will you be using your punch as the handle eye drift as well?  If you have trouble with the shape take an impression of a hammer eye you like using modeling clay and a thin plastic bag (like what a grocery store provides for fruits and vegetables) you only need to go just past the halfway mark.  This is the basic shape for your eye drift.

One of the nicest collection of blacksmithing tools I have seen was on the wall of a hammer handle making company in Arkansas; no not for sale unfortunately,  they were their "test" gauges for the handles they made.  If you want to make flat sided hammer eyes you may need to carve the handle you want and then make the drift for it.

No I wont be using the punch as the drift I will be making one of those also. I figure it is best to make all the tooling needed to make hammers just for practice to get better and learn more about blacksmithing. Thank you for your help you have given me some great ideas. and where is this place in Arkansas I am up there a couple times a year.