I Forge Iron

Damascus fillet knife

Will W.

Hello everyone. 

It's been a while since I've posted any of my work. Recent life events (good ones, thankfully) have kept me quite occupied, but the forge has been busy nonetheless. 

This knife was a serious challenge. I have never made anything this thin, and thankfully, it all turned out well (with only a slight warp lol.) I was very worried about the integrity of the welds while drawing it out so thin, but they held. Everything besides the steel was of the customers choice. 

The damascus was forged from 1080 and 15N20. Roughly 30 layers. Etched in hydrochloric acid. The guard and pommel were advertised as bronze, but I believe they are brass. The handle is acrylic liquid inlace, "Frostbite" color. 

Overall length: 10.5 inches

Blade length: 6.5 inches

Width: 3/4 inch at the ricasso

Thickness: .75 mm, or roughly 30 thousandths of an inch. 

It is flawed, no doubt. The bevels are short, the pattern could look a little better, and the biggest error of all is right in the edge side of the guard, beneath the ricasso. I just could not get it to line up perfectly and flush (third pic shows it best). The customer is very happy with everything however, so that is what matters. 

Let me know what you think! Comments and critiques are, as always, very much appreciated. 

IMG_1029.thumb.JPG.54414404663e495f77e4519c76e77867.JPG

IMG_1026.thumb.JPG.e9a46c7fa65dbb905e754de320ae9f86.JPG

IMG_1039.thumb.JPG.a1da246d2b35008f13377d0e551c0a6a.JPG

IMG_1032.thumb.JPG.6f0618e9df712d83b564c138f82e514a.JPG

A close up of the guard:

IMG_1043.thumb.JPG.5a65806674c27d507f978bd73f8c4395.JPG

And an artsy one, for the road :P

IMG_1040.thumb.JPG.20e0f674e45e6a2c0c930fccd77d4447.JPG

Thomas

Interesting. I don't know a whole lot about copper alloys, so thanks for the info. 

Thank you, Lou. 

I also meant to mention, after quenching I differentially tempered the blade. Spine was taken to blue/purple and the edge to dark brown. The blade is nice and flexible!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I didn't see this, I was away on holiday.
I really like the look of the knife its a beauty. I've always liked fillet knives, being a keen fisherman/hunter. Still haven't taken the plunge to make one.

The 'bronze' fittings are real nice, very intricate. Must have taken a while.

Really nice finish. The handle is like an acrylic version of spalted wood. Like how both sides are different. One side looks almost like marble.

I know from my last two knives how awkward it can be getting the guard flush. Lots of filing and looking at it with one eye lol.

Love it , well done!