I Forge Iron

2 new ones

billyO

Hello all.  It's been a while since I've been able to do any forging, but here's 2 paring knives that I made from scraps of prior billets.  The top one is O1/15N20 and the other one is 1080/15N20.

It looks like I've got a little more sanding to do on the top one.

2017_08070007.thumb.JPG.d82b7b51e2641e93466da848f8f50178.JPG

Any critiques are welcome.

as always

peace and love

~billyO

1 hour ago, billyO said:

It looks like I've got a little more sanding to do on the top one.

I agree. 

I really like the bottom one. The pattern is really interesting and idk what that wood is on the handle but that looks great as well. What are both the handle materials? And dimensions of both knives?

As far as critique goes, the bottom one, the edge seems to cut up to the tip rather abruptly, not quite as smooth and gentle as the top one. Kind of a small note, and maybe it's just the photo that makes it appear that way. 

The top one, the end of your bevel and beggining of your ricasso is a little crooked, not quite as straight as the bottom one. 

That's all I can really see. I think they look great. Nice work.  

They are both 6 1/2" overall with 3 1/2" blades.  Also, both are spalted maple stabilized by K&G (I died a few red and blue as a trial.  I'm not sure if I'll do that again.) from my property that had a big burl on it.  I still have about 300 blocks left, so I think all of my knives in the future will have maple handles (I have another 3' burl on another tree a bit further back on my property that I'm hoping to cut down soon, so I should be set up for life with extras to sell at some blade shows.)

3 hours ago, Will W. said:

As far as critique goes, the bottom one, the edge seems to cut up to the tip rather abruptly, not quite as smooth and gentle as the top one. Kind of a small note, and maybe it's just the photo that makes it appear that way. .  

Are you talking about the top one?  I dropped that one and broke the tip off and was planning on fixing that when I grind/sharpen the edge...