I Forge Iron

Position of anvil and forge

JHCC

When I first started and for many years after, I worked with the horn of the anvil to my left and the heel to my right (I'm right-handed), with the center line of the anvil at right angles to the front of the forge, thus:

IMG_2725.JPG

Recently (as noted elsewhere), I converted to horn-to-the-right, but with the anvil still at  90°. I've been doing a lot more fullering over the far edge of the anvil, both for drawing out and for shaping, so it's made a lot more sense to stand  at the end of the day anvil, with the the horn pointing towards my right hip joint. This has worked very well for forging, but it's awkward stepping all the way around the anvil. 

Today, I decided to rotate the anvil 45° and put it a little closer to the forge, thus:

IMG_3377.JPG

This makes it much easier to move to the anvil with a hot workpiece in three quick steps: step back with the left foot (1), step sideways with the right foot (2),  and step in with that left foot (3). 

IMG_3380.JPG

This may require some tweaking, but it already feels better than the old setup.

I've seen most of the variations and have tried them all. I currently like my forge, then quench tank ( old ss fire extinguisher) then my anvil. horn to the right (I'm right handed). I pull the hot steel, 1 1/2 steps to the right and I'm banging away. I have a second anvil perpendicular to my main one just a 90 degree turn to the right. That is the current iteration and seems to work well for me. The vise is 180 degrees from me, 1 1/2 steps behind me.

Steve

I've been working like JHCC has his anvil setup as shown in the first picture...since 1963. I like my anvil movable. I have it four feet from center of fire to center of anvil for small work and small, quick forge welds. I move it to five feet for everyday average work, and six feet or more for heavy ironwork.  I first learned as a right handed horseshoer, and most of us kept the horn to our left. We were working over the horn a lot, so the tongs and shoe were already in the left hand.