I Forge Iron

Just bought my first post vise

customcutter

We are visiting my brother in law in Byron, Ga and I checked the local CL for blacksmithing tools beings I'm just getting started.  I found a post vise listed in Centerville for $150, and went to see it this morning.  I explained to the owner that I was just getting started, and it would be a working tool not a collector piece.  Then I explained that it was missing the mounting bracket and the spring to open the jaws, and the movable jaw was frozen up.  I told him I would be interested at $80, but $100 would be my max.  To my surprise he said he would take $80, and threw in the small tongs and plate.  I don't think the plate is related to the vise.  He had mentioned that the vise was his grandfathers, and I think he just wanted to see it in good hands and used again.

There is a rectangular hole in the post leg of the vise I'm sure for mounting the spring or plate.  Any pics of how it is set up would be appreciated.  

Thanks in advance, Ken

0812171336.jpg

I don't have any good pictures handy , there's plenty on the net and all the problems you got on this vise are all easy fixes. Ive bought several vises like yours and have fixed most of them easily . Congratulations on your find ,get her fixed up and you'll be ready to go 

Your description of the 'rectangular hole' makes me think you might have an older (pre 1830 ish) vise. On those older vises, the mounting bracket  had a tenon on the end that passed thru the hole in the leg and a corresponding hole in the spring, and was held in place with a key passed thru a slot in the tenon. You can re create that old timey style, or do a simple u- bolt kinda thing to attach the mounting bracket. Getter mounted!

Steve

Thanks guys, I would like to restore it as close to the original style as possible.  I have seen a few pictures, but nothing specifically of the spring or mounting plates.  I'll start digging.

OK lots of pics in the post under this one!  Lots of mounting ideas too.