I Forge Iron

A badge for my daughter

My 5 year old daughter wants me to make her a police badge... the ones we looked at in the store were the old star shaped western style badge. I'm thinking the star shape will be too difficult to make for me so I was leaning toward the shield shape badge, has anyone attempted to make anything like this or have pics of home made badges? Doesn't have to be perfect of course, id like to make one for my 3 year old son too. So far the easiest thing I can think to start with would be a lawn mower blade. Suggestions wanted!!

dan

Stainless steel as it will polish out shiny, Cut stainless steel sheetmetal with a sharp cold chisel and file smooth, or use a dremel with a cutting disk, or use a jewelers saw (drilling a small hole to terminate a chisel/saw cut in can help too.)  Of course if you have access to sheet brass it will be an easier job.  You can solder the pin on the back with staybrite a no lead low temp low silver silver solder---easier to solder to brass!

You might want to read up on "repouse and chasing" for detailing the badge. It's easier than it seems and you'll want to practice. Name tags in relief are excellent practice. She can help even at 5. Mother and Dad had us kids helping that young. It'll be quality tie for both of you, memories and skills that will last a lifetime.

We'll honored to help and we LOVE pictures. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I like the round with the star cut out myself, like the us marshals, but many Sherif's departments use the 7 point star in the round, or the 5 point with balls. The sheild, to me would be harder because of inscribing the ribbon. Wile the star just needs  the negitive spaces punched out and "sherif", "marshal" etc stamped on the front.  

A cold chisel and wire wheel on your bench grinder will go a long way.  You can even carve in their initials if you like.

Some time back, I made up this "badge" for  Star Trek fan.  All done cold.  All you have to do is clean up the edges with a file to round them off nicely.

598d1b291f23a_STBadge.thumb.jpg.4b667dee6061e845f061b5047a1d35d7.jpg

It's "life size" was was meant to also work as a scraper for one of those ferro rods campers like to use for starting fires.

Very thin steel, similar to a saw blade, because you don't need much weight.

While I drilled a hole in it, he opted to use a neodymiam magnet to hold it on his shirt in true Star Trek style.

Just remember that kids and sharp points don't go together.  Even though this isn't sharp, I can see some eyes getting poked with the thing!

If I can help further, just holler.

Thanks a ton for all the advice, in my head I thought I was going to have to forge something. I think I just overthought it. Now I'll have to scrounge up some material to use to make the badges, I really like the looks of the circle with the star inside, I even found printable stencils on the internet that I can just trace out the pattern, I'll try getting some pictures this weekend if I make any progress on it.

You can print out the image on regular typing paper and size it whatever size you like.  Then use spray-on adhesive to lock it to the metal of your choice.

A Star-in-Circle design is probably the best just from a safety standpoint.  And pretty easy to do if you use a drill to get rid of most of the triangle before you take a cold chisel and file to clean things up.

Getting a pin soldered onto the back wouldn't be too hard, but think about..... again.... you gotta think about what kids will do with a pin.  Of course, a small magnet presents a chocking hazard, or could end up in an ear or nose if it doesn't get lost in the first five minutes.

Yah im not going to add a actual pin to it, maybe even just a little alligator clip or something small. Luckily they're passed the age of sticking things in their noses or mouths (other than their fingers). I'll get a good template set up tomorrow and scrounge up something to make them out of.

The first badges used by the Texas Rangers, were cut from a silver Mexican Peso.

I've made several silver initials, ... to inlay into walking sticks, handgun grips and fishing rod handles, ... by simply drilling and filing with Jewelers Files.

( A "scrap" grade, 90% silver, half-dollar, is only about $4.00 or $5.00 at a coin shop. )

Suitable discs of copper, aluminum or brass could be easily made by removing the pilot drill from a hole saw.

Old "Club" brand cookware would be a suitable "donor" for some 1/8" aluminum.

Or discs of any material could be "parted off" on a lathe, ... or even sawn off a bar of suitable diameter.

Or, what about UHMW or Delrin, or Phenolic ?