I Forge Iron

Beaudry fun fact

just pulled the ram out of my no 2 Beaudry hammer, degreased and tool dies out. The number beaudrys are rated to be a 50 pound hammer but when I weighed my ram it came in at 86lb!

machine says no.2 on it but thought id weigh the ram and came in at higher than i expected. should have a real wallup when shes mounted and running.

A lot of old mechanicals underrated the weight of the tup.  Too many makers and by too much weight to be an accident in my opinion, I think it was a marketing ploy.  "Wow, this 75# hammer hits like 100#!"  

My 85# mechanical has a tup weight of 95# without the die.  

Well, the force of a hammers' impact is a different item than its falling weight.  Consider the momentum behind the blow, at a speed of 200 hits or more per minute.  For example, my 300 lb. Beaudry is listed in product literature as having an impact force of 1800 lbs.  I had the ram out not long ago, wish I'd been able to weigh it but I don't have a scale that would have worked.  I was barely able to lift it a foot off the ground though, and I can carry a 200 lb. anvil around without much trouble.  

Anyone ever weigh the ram on a #9 Beaudry?

i find it strange that a fifty pound rated hammer would have an 86 pound head. i can see 10 or 12 pound difference but 36 pound seems to be way off but i did weigh it 2x to make sure it was correct. would be interesting to know what that big beaudry is. wonder if that was common with beaudry of if my hammer is just an odd duck!

I've heard that it can vary- the Beaudry weight designation system varied some over the years, and IIRC I heard of hammers in adjacent weight classes sometimes getting parts for each other?  The ram fitting downward in size seems unlikely, but it could perhaps be a #3 ram?

Interestingly, this chart lists the head on both the 50 and 75 lb. hammers as being 101 lbs, and the top die on both as being 22.5 lbs.  My #9 is listed as having a 332 lb. ram.

http://www.newenglandblacksmiths.org/power_hammer_info.htm

Krush, not and odd duck, your hammer is likely a 75 I have a #2 the ram weighs 86 pounds and have weighed quite a few # 2 the same, it was probably built that way as a 75 the later Beaudry & Co 50s and 75s used the same one piece frames marked # 2, Beaudry as with many other hammer makers of the time made alot of hammers tailored to their customers needs.

Look at the end of the crank it may be stamped 75 if the serial # is in the right range, what is the serial #?

Salem that Chart was of early hammers the later hammers were not the same there were alot of differences over the year those hammers were made by the end of manufacture there were only 4 models of the champion made , most 9's are close to 300 lb most the specs on that chart are rough casting not machined yet.

• 2 weeks later...

your right it must be a 75pound rated hammer as on the back of the flywheel there is a number 75 in the casting, that along with the confirmed actual weigh in at 86 pounds im pleased that i traded a 25 pound little giant for it. just need to do some dovetail cleanup on the lower sow block and mount motor with jackshaft and she be ready to roll

yes im pleased, even more that i just measured up my sow block and figured out i can rework the dovetails on my small milling machine. wish my 100 pound Ajax federhammer anvil would be that easy but its 24" tall 14" wide over 800 pounds of anvil. i will be hand working that til next spring.