I Forge Iron
Glenn

It followed me home

ARE the inspection stamps still current? 

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, Chris C said:

Were you wearing a mask and brandishing a gun when you approached the seller?

Lol... wearing a gun, and brandishing a mask...:D

Jhcc, no sir... I was kind of surprised just to find them period. They look to be in decent shape, paint is still glossy and not all beat up. Whats the reference to date stamp in regards to use? Think I'll have difficulty in filling?

There should be a date of mfg and/or date of last hydrostatic test (pressure test) near the valve/collar. If the test is out of date you will probably need to have them tested before a supplier will fill them. If I remember correctly tanks of 100 pounds or smaller the test expiration is 12 years from mfg date and if they have another test date it's good for 5 years. I have seen folks repaint old out dated tanks to sell them.

Where I fill mine they just exchange everything and if your old tank is out of date and doesn't pass or it's been damaged you'll never know they just roll it off and load a full one in your pickup. They will NOT put a propane tank in the passenger compartment or a closed vehicle. 

They're good guys and the same price of a bit less per gal for propane and you don't have to worry about them shutting the tank valve HARD. They're precision valves, a touch more than snug is more than enough not to leak. If you crank on them hard it scores the seats and you must crank hard to keep them from leaking and only for the next couple few fills.  I don't have to stand and watch the guys at the welding supply or Petrolane, they go to school to learn to fill and handle pressurized flammable gas. 

Sure beats the corner gas station.

Frosty The Lucky.

This almost made me roadkill today. While driving into town for my bimonthly shopping trip I noticed the truck ahead of me had it's tail gate down and in the bed of the truck was a welder. When he hit one of the major potholes in the road, the welder slid to the back and fell onto the road and slid for a bit before the tank fell after it. The tank bounced and almost took me out. I sped up honking and flashing my lights to get his attention so he would know what happened, but all I got for my trouble was a one finger salute, so I went back and picked up the welder from the side of the road. Still in decent condition, it has some minor scrapes on the side, 3 missing foot pads, the side panel won't stay closed and the tank has some bare metal on the bottom where it bounced and a layer of paint missing where it rolled/slid. I don't see anything bent or broken, I plugged it in and it hums. The cords and hoses don't look like they took any damage at all. There is gas in the tank, as it will pressurize the hose, and no leaks that I can find. It will hold pressure after the tank is closed. I'll leave it closed to see if/how long the pressure stays in the hose. The wire feeds smoothly. Haven't tried an actual weld yet though

I think they must've bought it used not so long ago because it still has a price tag of $225 on it. I'm going to do everything I can to get it back to them, but it would be a lie if I said I wouldn't want to keep it.  I'll put up a sign at the local gas station, store and feed store in case they want it back, and I'll leave the signs up until a couple weeks after the stay at home order lifts. From the way they treated my good samaritism I won't feel bad using it until they claim it, once I feel safe that it won't blow me up or electrocute me. Is there anything I should check out that I may be missing?

IMG_20200406_124128783.jpg

You are a generous sort.

Had I been the recipient of that one finger salute, I would have offered him a much more vigorous response.

slag.

If someone claims it's theirs make them ID it with the serial number or other identifying stuff like the price tag on it or make & model. There are folks who would lie about it being theirs, so don't put any of that info on the signs, a mig welder should suffice. You may have gotten the one finger salute because it was stolen from the rightful owner. I agree with Slag, you did all that would be reasonably required to notify them they dropped it.

I need to follow around more pickup trucks.

I was just going to do a sign saying "Found welder on the side of Tyler Foote Rd. Call to ID."  If they can't ID it with at least 3 ID points from that then I'll know it's not theirs. The truck was a late 00's early 10's ram, which is at least 20-30 years newer than most of the thieves in the area drive, though I have been wrong before.

The funny thing is that when I got behind them I was remarking to myself how much I'd like to have a welder like that. I guess ask and you shall receive

I'm all for helping someone out. I'd have chased em down too.... but they second they flipped you off- you now own a welder. Finders keepers then.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt whenever possible. Maybe he had a rough morning that put him in a bad mood. I know with my mild form of asbergers I've had a few of those. He certainly was having a rough day once he got where he was going and realized his welder was missing.

Shabumi, I just hope when he got home, it hit him you were just trying to help him.  Give him the benefit of the doubt?  I don't think so!  Some people weren't raised right, IMHO!

I have a similar story shabumi about seeing a guy drop a wad of cash in the Hollywood and highland redline station. I hurried up and picked it up and caught up with the guy saying excuse me. Hey turned around and looked at me and kept walking. I walked up to him on the platform and said excuse me sir and he started yelling at me that he doesn't have any change, I should get a job, and he hates panhandlers. I stopped with my mouth hanging open and turned and walked away laughing and $900 dollars richer. 

Pnut

On 4/4/2020 at 3:20 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

If I remember correctly tanks of 100 pounds or smaller the test expiration is 12 years from mfg date and if they have another test date it's good for 5 years. I have seen folks repaint old out dated tanks to sell them.

I checked the dates today. One tank was 12/17, the other was 06/18. I think I got a pretty decent deal then.

Filled one today with no problems!

A couple thoughts Shabumi: Everybody's under a lot of stress right now, cutting someone some slack is a good thing, I'm proud to know you. 

Something I've noticed about people, their reactions often say a lot about them. Someone who automatically flips folk off often behaves in a way that causes folk to be angry at them. Not saying he wasn't just stressing. 

Were he a thief who'd just made off with the welder he wouldn't have made eye contact let alone flipped you off. Pretend like you don't exist yes, do something to draw more attention? Nope.

Hanging signs is a good thing if for nothing else it's good karma and it's easier to look at yourself in the mirror if you make a good attempt. A little description, say Welder fell off  truck  last Sunday. If it's yours leave your number here, I'll call you if you can describe it I'll get it back to you. 

Something like that. I would NOT put my phone # on the sign reverse directory look up and a potential bad guy  knows where you live.:o Yes?

I'd say the owner does body and fender. That is a CO2 bottle so mild steel sheet is it's primary use. 75/25 is a steel shielding gas but generally for more varied alloys and thicknesses. 

Nice welders. 

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Chris C said:

Some people weren't raised right, IMHO!

I agree completely. Fortunately I was (I think), so I'm going to put the sign up anyway. Besides, based on his general attitude and the fact that he hit THAT pothole makes me think he's not from around here. It's a big enough hole that locals use it as a landmark when giving directions. 

18 minutes ago, Frosty said:

a potential bad guy  knows where you live

Thank you for your concern, though if the bad guy wanted to get in he'd have to first get through an electric fence, then our sheep and 4 Anatolian/Akbash crosses, a 6 ft welded wire fence, then a pack of Dachshunds, another double fence, then they'd have to deal with our 2 European standard dobies and 4 house Dachshunds. If we're really worried we can loose the 2 border collies who are trained to bite the heads of bulls who are on the fight to get them in line and the New Zealand Huntaway who doesn't have much bite, but has a huge bark that can be distracting. And that's all before we would even think to grab a weapon, which are plentiful on this old ranch. But if they are determined enough to get through all of that, then they can have whatever they want.

I didn't think to see what kind of gas was in the bottle. I noticed some stickers on it but I didn't read them. I did check on the pressure in the hose and after 4 hours of the gas being shut off after priming it it hasn't gone down at all, so I don't think there are any leaks in the hose. 

Oh MY, I'd be tempted to lure bad guys over! Anatolian Akbash crosses?! Oooo!:wub:  You train your border collies to bite bull's HEADS!:o Isn't their stare is intimidating enough for most livestock?  wouldn't it make more sense to teach the Huntaway to bite bull heads? They don't have to reach so high. 

A family with dogs is never lone, you probably have it covered I can relax. 

I'm going by the bottle type and color and the regulator. CO2 works well on steel, better than inert or mixes in some circumstances. Auto body work is a case in point. 

Frosty The Lucky.

We teach them to bite at the head as the terrain we gather our cattle in is steep and extremely brushy open range, so we can send them ahead to stop the cattle instead of chasing them into the brush where we can't get to them. The Huntaway is trained to find the cattle and bark when he's found them, so we wait on a ridge top and wait for the barks. When we start moving the cows, the Huntaway follows and the bark helps move the cattle along with the borders at the flanks keeping everything in a group, ready to get ahead if they need to. A heading dog can heel very well, but a heeler can't be a header. We have a 3rd border collie who isn't strong enough for heading cows, but she's great for sheep and she does fine pushing the cows and backing up the others if they need it when we gather. We also send the Huntaway ahead to bark and hold certain roadways that we don't want the cows to go down

Makes me wish I could ride along and watch your dogs working Shabumi. I'd be surprised I never thought about dogs as headers but I stopped being surprised I didn't know or think of something. 

Ayup, that isn't CO2. says 75/25. right on the label. I should learn to wait till I see the label before opening my mouth, eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I should learn to wait till I see the label before opening my mouth, eh

Hey, if you hadn't said anything I never would have looked. 

It can be very impressive watching a good dog work stock. We had one red border collie "Butch" who my dad won the Klamath Falls cowdog competition, which is one of the biggest on the world, in 99 or 00. I believe the top 5 every year past that all had his blood in them, even last year. He was truly impressive. You didn't have to tell him anything, he knew his job and he did it well. We had a bull on the fight, not wanting to be loaded up. So we sent Butch out and told him only one word "hold" which is his command to not let anything past him and when the 1800-2000lb bull broke from the group, 55 lb Butch just walked calmly up to the bulls head and stared at him. When the bull put his head down to try and take Butch, he jumped on top of the bulls head and bit like crazy before jumping off and stepping back, still staring down the bull. The bull tried again and Butch jumped on and took half the bulls ear off before stepping back. The bull bellowed and ran straight for the trailer, but before he could get there, Butch grabbed a back foot and pulled it out from under him, just once, to show who's boss and walked calmly back to us without even looking back at the cows. After that, all that bull had to see was any kind of dog and he calmed down and went to the center of the heard.

Butch was a special one. One of the few dogs I've seen that were born alpha, he never had to fight for it. All the other dogs knew it from the time he was born. One of our females who didn't like any male dog, rolled over and peed when she first met him as a 8 week old puppy. This made him one of the toughest dogs to train. Herding is controlled hunting, and the alpha controls the hunt so you MUST be alpha over your herding dogs for them to do what you want. My dad was the only one to manage to be alpha over Butch. I'm a fair hand when it comes to working dogs, and I knew all his commands, but Butch completely ignored me when I tried to work with him. I was below him, and I accepted it. I could work the other dogs if I needed to.

I would've liked to meet Butch, I've known a super alpha and they can be hard to handle. He minded his manners but there was never any doubt he was going to do anything if he didn't agree. 

Right now we're making our retired service, therapy dog Abby as comfortable as possible as she winds down. I called her radioactive, she radiates LOVE ME waves to everyone, human or not. She was drawn to people or animals in distress and just being with them made them better. When I was in the hospital after the TBI accident I could tell if she was i the room or not without being able to see her. 

We were in Walmart I think when Abby started pulling Deb off our course so we followed. She walked up to a Vet in a wheel chair that was an emotional basket case. The hospital was getting him out for air, sun and human contact and the guy was just completely out of it.  Abby walked up stood next to his knee and he started to calm down, looked at her and reached out to touch her head. She laid her head on his knee and you could literally see and feel the anguish and pain leave him. He smiled and asked her name. First thing he'd said in I don't know how long. He sat there stroking her head and talking softly. In about 5 minutes he looked at Deb and said, "Thank you," then at Abby and said, "you're a good girl Abby." 

I don't know how to describe it adequately it was like watching a balloon deflate pain and suffering. 

Frankly I believe she's an angel of comfort staying with us for a too brief but glorious time.

I understand dogs born with super powers. I'm honored to live with one.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sounds like you've got a special one there. I'm sorry to hear her flame is flickering. The brightest candles burn the quickest.

I've felt the balloon your talking about, which is why we donate a few puppies each year to make a wish and wounded warrior. Depending on if we have any available when they call. Completely free of charge. The fact that the puppies can make that big of a difference in someone's life is payment enough.