I Forge Iron

Stopped by at my favorite junk / antique store and walked away with 2 pair of 5/8 & 3/8 Champion bolt tongs for $27.  The other thing he gave me for free but I saw a bottom fuller to be made out of it for the hardy hole.  I didn't know they were Champions until I cleaned them up as they were both quite rusty.  I love this shop, but you gotta dig through the piles to find things.  There was another pair of flat bit tongs he had, but I only had the $27 in cash on me and I had another pair on the rack just like them.  I also loaded up the SUV with a pile of scrap wood that said free by it.  Lots of oak with several thinner slices pieces of oak that I can make into hammer wedges.  I didn't take a picture of that.

DSCN4395.thumb.JPG.dea548604fad5ede75b776a91eed860d.JPG

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fleamarket report: 1 ballpeen, 1 crosspeen hammer US$1 apiece, 4 soldering coppers $5, small rockbreaker digging rod $3

Yesterday I helped a fellow smith pick up a band saw from an old junk filled garage, and this is what followed me home, some letter and number punches, and some old tractor drags or something, not sur

I have a smallish spalling hammer I "converted" into a straight pein and the balance isn't good. the Face side is too heavy making it darned tiring to use. I have given thought to cutting the face sid

Posted Images

:o you paid $27. And had to work to find them?! You need better bargaining skills my friend  

Lol It's ok. They will work great by the looks. Honestly, if I can use them and make them it's worth around $10. Just to buy them, easy.  If I can't make them and need them well... I guess it's what it takes to buy them. I have paid people over asking price just because I knew they would have that awesome deal down the road. I have also walked away from $1. Over my asking price for other reasons. If you have a good source, always treat them right. They are happy and happy to give you stuff you consider gold that they consider junk. 

Daswulf if I pay around $10 a pair for tongs, that's just about my limit.  It takes me longer to make a pair.  Most tongs I see these days are going for $30 or $40 a pair in my area.  I won't pay that much unless I really, really need them for something.  The guy from the junk shop has given me deals in the past so I throw him a bone every couple of months and give what he asks.  He usually throws something in for free which I like.  When I dig I make sure there's a chisel or a punch or something along with whatever I take to him. It's the type of place where there are no prices.  Since I deal in Indian artifacts, I give him values and opinions on those if he has them.  Good guy.  Here I thought I did pretty good, but I guess I need to up my game :unsure:

US$13.50 is not a bad deal on a good commercial pair of tongs.  As for cultivating your sources: I do the same with the local scrapyard owner. If he pulls something out of the scrap stream and saves for me I buy it even if I don't need it just to keep him hunting for me. (It's always something I can pass on to other smiths.)  Does it pay off? How about a usable 50# Vulcan anvil for $20?   Passed that one on to a beginner as a starter anvil for suburbia use. (For $1 a pound---we both were happy!)

50# Vulcan, what a great driveway smith anvil! Now all he needs is a vice on wheels, forge on wheels, and a rolling tool cart. My 90# vulcan is getting casters this spring, the round stump can be barrel rolled into the driveway but one of these times i can see it tipping. Also going to add some handles and hammer/tool holders. 

Been a cold winter in my area, cold enough to keep me from lighting up the forge. I did get to bend some S-hooks in the pritchel last weekend from rebar for hanging odds and ends from the garage rafters. When my wife saw them she said "I didn't even hear you hammering" to which I responded "i'm just strong enough to bend them by hand dear". 

My mother recently moved back from Florida and was complaining about 40 degree weather. Then it hit negative 15 real temp, closer to neg 30 wind chill at times... She grew up in the midwest but 15 years as a Florida resident really made her forget what it's like up here. I'll take negative temps over snow, ice, and sleet however. Rolled the dice on my tires and so far it's paying off. 

Precipitation; I think I've read about that somewhere before....(I grew up on the east coast and midwest and remember camping at -20 deg calm temps in the Scouts....I'll settle for not turning the furnace on till December and turning it off during the day...)

On a trip to Portland OR, USA my brother in laws father found out we were looking for "rust" and sent these home with me.  Pretty sure the planer/jointer knives are HSS but when an 86 year old hands them to you, you say thank you!  Second pic ,I think?, is a hand saw file. Anybody know?  One file is made in Australia.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

23 minutes ago, 51 Papy said:

One file is made in Australia.

Austria, not Australia!

24 minutes ago, 51 Papy said:

Second pic ,I think?, is a hand saw file.

Quite possibly. Hand saw files are usually triangular, but this one could be used that way anyway.

5 minutes ago, 51 Papy said:

I have never seen a diamond shaped file just a guess. 

Every saw file I recall seeing has been triangular, with the exception of the "feather files" used by Japanese woodworkers to sharpen their crosscut saws. These saws have very tall, very thin teeth that need an exceptionally thin file to reach between; these are almost always diamond-shaped.

5 minutes ago, 51 Papy said:

JHCC your right.

"You're"

;) 

6 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Oh yes we correctly puncture anyone trying to suborn the secrets!

You can't suborn a secret -- subornation is bribing or otherwise inducing someone to commit a crime. "Suborning perjury", for example, is getting someone to lie under oath.

5 hours ago, Charcold said:

50# Vulcan, what a great driveway smith anvil! Now all he needs is a vice on wheels, forge on wheels, and a rolling tool cart. My 90# vulcan is getting casters this spring, the round stump can be barrel rolled into the driveway but one of these times i can see it tipping. Also going to add some handles and hammer/tool holders. 

Been a cold winter in my area, cold enough to keep me from lighting up the forge. I did get to bend some S-hooks in the pritchel last weekend from rebar for hanging odds and ends from the garage rafters. When my wife saw them she said "I didn't even hear you hammering" to which I responded "i'm just strong enough to bend them by hand dear". 

I roll my 179 pound Trenton out on it's stump with an antique barrel cart.  It was the only thing that could handle that kind of weight.  I picked mine up on Craig's List for $30.  Now I smile when I wheel it in and out of the garage instead of dreading the whole affair - well I still dislike it, but it will make having a smithy someday all the sweeter.

9 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

"suborn the holders of the secrets into giving them up before they give up their lives..."

That's suborning the action of giving up, not the secrets per se.

10 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Memo to self: direct next anvil storm to northeast Ohio...make sure they are all cast iron ASOs

Go right ahead; there's a scrapyard right near my son's school that pays decent rates.

7 minutes ago, MC Hammer said:

I roll my 179 pound Trenton out on it's stump with an antique barrel cart.  It was the only thing that could handle that kind of weight.  I picked mine up on Craig's List for $30.  Now I smile when I wheel it in and out of the garage instead of dreading the whole affair - well I still dislike it, but it will make having a smithy someday all the sweeter.

Wowza, ya that's a massive anvil to move in and out! 

JHCC,

O learned one (savant even). (& the preceding is a complement).

Subornation usually means bribing a person to give false testimony. (Gasp, perjury)

That use is encountered in the legal profession and at law school.

I have not seen usage of it in the broader sense. I'm sure that it so used but I am not sure where. Where?, I'm curious.

SLAG.

Largely confined to legal usage these days, but not unknown in literature:

"Firm we subsist, yet possible to swerve,
Since reason may not impossibly meet
Some spacious object, by the foe suborn'd
And fall into deception unaware,
Not keeping strictest watch, as she was warn'd."

-- John Milton

I use it from time to time at work and luckily JC Hammer would not be allowed into the gates!  (Without suborning the guards...)

Wasn't it used in Frank Herbert's Dune with respect to  suborning the Duke's physician? Near the start.