Glenn

It followed me home

Recommended Posts

First contribution to this topic. I took the time to read it all (yes, all 247 pages of it) before adding my very modest contribution to the mix. This allowed me to pick up quite a bit of valuable information along the way. :)

A couple week ago I picked up this thing along the street, leaning against a trash can. As I was going to gas up the car at the time and had the trailer hitched up, I simply threw it in the trailer. Must have been some kind of home-made pot-holder or table holder. The center piece is 1" square solid metal while the curved arms are 1/2" round. Free.

Then, last weekend, I picked up this 6# head at a flea market for C$2. When I looked at it more carefully in sunlight I was finally able to decypher the markings. The top says "BNT1796" and "Made in England". Did a quick search and discovered that BNT stands for Brades and Nash Tyzack, which was formed in 1951 and folded into Spear and Jackson in 1967. I will clean it up a little with a wire wheel and mount it on a short handle.

20170608_175837.jpg

20170608_175608.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R

1 hour ago, Arthur210 said:

First contribution to this topic. I took the time to read it all (yes, all 247 pages of it) before adding my very modest contribution to the mix. This allowed me to pick up quite a bit of valuable information along the way. :)

A couple week ago I picked up this thing along the street, leaning against a trash can. As I was going to gas up the car at the time and had the trailer hitched up, I simply threw it in the trailer. Must have been some kind of home-made pot-holder or table holder. The center piece is 1" square solid metal while the curved arms are 1/2" round. Free.

Then, last weekend, I picked up this 6# head at a flea market for C$2. When I looked at it more carefully in sunlight I was finally able to decypher the markings. The top says "BNT1796" and "Made in England". Did a quick search and discovered that BNT stands for Brades and Nash Tyzack, which was formed in 1951 and folded into Spear and Jackson in 1967. I will clean it up a little with a wire wheel and mount it on a short handle.

 

Your street find looks suspiciously like a boot scraper and boot rack combined. Kept just out side the back door. The Wellingtons (rubber boots? Galoshes?) hung upside down on the rounds to keep the insides dry, and the lower cross piece for stability and scraping the mud off.

The hand hammer I probably did most forging with was by Isaac Nash. Together with Brades and William Tyzack were all long established tool forging businesses in the Black Country. They combined in the 1950 after a couple of hundred years of reputation building. Tyzack did a lot of wood tools.

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an old Tyzack dovetail saw around here somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JHCC said:

I have an old Tyzack dovetail saw around here somewhere.

My furniture maker father was slightly snooty about Tyzack saws...they were okay-ish...but most of his panel, back, tenon, dovetail and gent saws were Henry Disston...and whats more they had to be Keystone Philadelphia Henry Disstons.  I gather the factory moved at some time and the old factory ones were naturally reckoned to be the best!

I still have all his tools, his workshop too as it happens. His favourite planes were the handbuilt Norris and Spiers and all gouges and chisels had to be Addis. On the shelf under his bench there are a number of Bailey and Stanley shooting and smoothing planes...the Norris and Spiers were only used for Sunday best. :) 

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2017 at 6:28 PM, keeplokd said:

Stopped by my local Tractor Supply Co two weekends ago. They see me frequently enough that some of the girls recognize me on sight. As I was leaving, i noticed this pile of steel tube pallets sitting next to a couple piles of wood ones way in the corner of the parking lot. I approached a sales associate and asked what was being done with the pallets. He said, "You want them? Have at it. You can take anything over there. The pallets. The bushes." I thanked him, then ran home for the trailer.

I'm slowly cutting these up into as much length as I can save. Square and rectangular tube steel. 1/2", 3/4", 1". Some of the long sides I'm getting almost 8 foot sections out of. 

I'm not sure what I'm using it for, but it followed me home.

 

Nice score, some years back the local Honda shop just stacked the ATV pallets out by the dumpster and I hauled them off by the pickup truck load. Good stock to keep handy though trying to refine it into sort of steel supplier stock wastes a lot of material.

I discovered pretty quickly that whatever I was building I could find part of it already made. I have a couple "structures" that are turning into yard art. I needed scaffolding to work on the shop and what the hey, those were right there. They still are. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

 

On 6/8/2017 at 6:28 PM, keeplokd said:

Stopped by my local Tractor Supply Co two weekends ago. They see me frequently enough that some of the girls recognize me on sight. As I was leaving, i noticed this pile of steel tube pallets sitting next to a couple piles of wood ones way in the corner of the parking lot. I approached a sales associate and asked what was being done with the pallets. He said, "You want them? Have at it. You can take anything over there. The pallets. The bushes." I thanked him, then ran home for the trailer.

I'm slowly cutting these up into as much length as I can save. Square and rectangular tube steel. 1/2", 3/4", 1". Some of the long sides I'm getting almost 8 foot sections out of. 

I'm not sure what I'm using it for, but it followed me home.

 

Nice score, some years back the local Honda shop just stacked the ATV pallets out by the dumpster and I hauled them off by the pickup truck load. Good stock to keep handy though trying to refine it into sort of steel supplier stock wastes a lot of material.

I discovered pretty quickly that whatever I was building I could find part of it already made. I have a couple "structures" that are turning into yard art. I needed scaffolding to work on the shop and what the hey, those were right there. They still are. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 8, 2017 at 10:28 PM, keeplokd said:

Stopped by my local Tractor Supply Co two weekends ago. They see me frequently enough that some of the girls recognize me on sight. As I was leaving, i noticed this pile of steel tube pallets sitting next to a couple piles of wood ones way in the corner of the parking lot. 

I'm slowly cutting these up into as much length as I can save. Square and rectangular tube steel. 1/2", 3/4", 1". Some of the long sides I'm getting almost 8 foot sections out of. 

I'm not sure what I'm using it for, but it followed me home.

im thinking that a decent sied belt grinder and some stock racks are in that pile

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those would be covered stock racks Stephan, that way you could keep more shop floor space clear.

Frosty The Lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's nice to have a son who works as a fitter/turner for a mining company. He gets lots of this stuff and hands it on to me. The ball bearings are from pump repairs, the washers and coach screws are from the packing cases that pumps come shipped in. And lots of punching slugs. The bigger balls are 30mm.Heaps of sculpture parts there:

 

grant's stuff.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh, that is a tasty bit of loot Aus. Too bad you can't think of anything to do with it eh? :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha Ha! A zillion ideas Frosty. Just give me more than 24 hours in a day!  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 29, 2017 at 8:41 PM, JHCC said:

From my neighbor's garage sale, a 16 lb stonebreaker's hammer for six bucks (3 lb cross-peen for scale). 

The trademark is a capital "A" in a horseshoe, with a "CAST STEEL" stamp. Can't tell if that's a name inside the horseshoe, or just decoration. 

I use an 18 pounder on concrete and stone, hard as a woodpeckers lips.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I'm sure Many of us could use that! :) 

I second that!

                                                                                                                                Littleblacksmith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ausfire said:

Ha Ha! A zillion ideas Frosty. Just give me more than 24 hours in a day!  ;)

Sometimes it takes me a day or so to get my bearings too. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes that's what it takes to keep friction to a minimum.

Frosty The Lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to think up another pun about bearings. My mind is racing....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And when you lose bearings, things are like a seagull after a hot dog - they're like a tern for the wurst.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JHCC said:

Trying to think up another pun about bearings. My mind is racing....

ROTFL?

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least you get the thrust of this one.

Frosty The Lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.