Glenn

It followed me home

Will do. :- )   I suspect that the vice has been cranked tight closed for a few decades.  Spring looks OK but perhaps all that time under pressure will have deformed it a bit.  I dunno... My plan is to clean it all up, fit it together and then check if the spring has enough oomph (technical term round these parts) to push the vice jaws apart. If not, I’ll whap it in the forge, warm it up and bend a bit more of a bend in it.  I’m guessing I dont need to worry about heat treating it after, should be enough stiffness there with a simple air cool.  Once done I’ll post a before and after pic on the vice thread. Seems greedy to have two post vices, but I couldnt walk away from it. Its a bit bigger than my current one. 

Not greedy; efficient.  I have two work benches each one has a 6" and a 4" postvise and I have another heavy duty one mounted by itself for heavy work---I once twisted a RR spike in it---*cold*!   I have one for my travelling kit and a sturdy one mounted at my casita as I got tired of the travelling vise not being as rigid as I wanted for doing larger work at my other location.

Back in the '90's I was buying post vises for US$20 a piece in central Ohio.  I finally put a limit on the number I'd own and sell off extras. However there are some tasks where the smaller vise is easier to use---like closing it with your knee working the handle. Other tasks require a larger more robust vise.

Remember to spell my name correctly in your will *first*!  My wife has a craft she is passionate about  as well; so no problem either way with a spouse explaining to the other spouse *why* they need another  XYZ when they already have a half dozen of them.

Got it apart after an overnight swim in wd40. As you predicted TP there was some odd pitting and unevenness on the pivot joint cheeks. Strange. I’ll make a new thread with pics in the  vice section and get off this thread.