I Forge Iron

Forge Table

Tyler2045

Image result for cast iron forge table with built in quench tank

Hello, I learn blacksmithing from my grandfather, he passed this past friday. I went and collected his blacksmithing equipment so that it would not be stolen. I found a forge like this, I would like to keep it, so I will have to build it from my family or in the auction. I would like to know and approximated worth so I can keep this in my family, to use and enjoy. All help is appreciated. I learn to first heat metal and control a coal fire in this forge. 

I am so sorry to hear that Tyler, you have my deepest condolences. Who is the executor of the will, you may be able to have it excluded from the auction. Heck, talk to the auctioneer they may be willing to do a deal for a little palm lube. ($)

Were I in our shoes I'd hate to have to let it go. If you can't keep or win it, we'll be proud to help you build another. It'd be an honor.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you sir, I have a  small Champion rivet forge I currently use. My mother is executor but everything has to be split with my aunt who wants to sell everything. I have what I guess to mate is about 10 to 12 thousand dollars at fair market in the back of my truck right not that I took from his house so that it would not be stolen. What is bad is this is only his metal working stuff. I have not even started to going threw his antique wood working tools, which is everything from draw knifes, coopering tools, bowl making, box planes, rabbit planes, and new stuff like lathes and saws. He was a retired Navy man, and loved to learn and do new things. In the last few years he started wood carving and was very good. He loved to teach and and pass on his knowledge, I was very lucky. 

How do you get along with your Aunt? Got something to trade her? Does she need help around the house?  Got something you can blackmail her with? NOT SERIOUSLY! :o

It sounds like you are a lucky man, I got to spend that kind of time with my Father and love every moment, even all those hours I hated at the time. You learn so much more than just the skills.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm sorry I don't have the knowledge to give you a fair market price for this forge.  Sadly, in situations like this sometimes family members can become divided as they see possible dollar signs.  Your best bet is to come up with a price you think is fair for everything you would like to keep and then offer your aunt to pay her part of it in payments.  Maybe your mother will be more forgiving. 

Good luck and condolences on your loss.  He will live in the things you create,

Lou

US$250  would be my max as it looks to be in good condition---remind her that if it's auctioned you have to pay the auctioneer a cut! (My breakdown was $100 for the blower, $100 for the firepot and $50 for the cast iron table---if you are going to be using it a forge table is cheap and easy to build! (and not real useful for other stuff...)