I Forge Iron

Damascus Fork

bobasaurus

I forged this pattern-welded damascus fork out of bandsaw blades and pallet strapping. It's just a simple twist pattern, but I think it came out well.

My first attempt at making one failed, as I managed to snap off the tips after heat treatment when trying to un-bend them from a warp. So this is the second fork from the remainder of the billet. I didn't bother heat treating this one, I don't think it will need it (and the pallet strapping is mild steel anyways).  

2017-08-06_10-24-12_1.jpg

2017-08-06_10-27-41_3.jpg

2017-08-06_10-25-39_5.jpg

2017-08-06_10-29-36_2.jpg

2017-05-13_15-28-21_10.jpg

2017-05-13_18-08-24_9.jpg

Oh that is gorgeous Bob! Have you thought of making matching (sort of) sets? Make your billet rectangular an saw your fork, spoon, butter knife, etc. blanks from the same billet. They won't be exact matches but you might get enough similarities to make a set. Like cutting lumber, you can get mirror grain patterns if you do it right. 

Hmmmm?

Super well done Bob, Kudos!

Frosty The Lucky.

After the welding carbon migration has probably equalized a whole lot---some pallet strapping is NOT mild; do a quench and break and save the higher C stuff for projects tnhat do require heat treat,  (BTW why did you harden a fork; or were you hoping to make the pattern etch better?)

15 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

After the welding carbon migration has probably equalized a whole lot---some pallet strapping is NOT mild; do a quench and break and save the higher C stuff for projects tnhat do require heat treat,  (BTW why did you harden a fork; or were you hoping to make the pattern etch better?)

This is mild strapping, I have the original box and looked up the part number.  But maybe it did have some carbon migration.  The heat treat on the original was to try and make the etch cleaner and strengthen the thin prongs (which backfired on me).  This one I left soft, and it seems plenty stiff enough to use.