I Forge Iron

Help Dating a Hay Budden Anvil

I don't own a copy of Anvils in America but, based on others I've seen with similar serial numbers I'd guess it was manufactured in 1912 and I'm pretty certain the SS stands for "solid steel".  If it is in good shape it is a HIGHLY sought after anvil and you should keep it and not sell it.

40 minutes ago, Joel Russell said:

My uncle has a Hay Budden anvil that has a serial number 193 187 and the letters SS next to the serial number. Would anyone be able to give us some help as to when this anvil was manufactured and what the SS means? Thanks.

According to Anvils in America, your uncle's anvil was made in 1912.  Mr. Postman mentions finding a Hay Budden with "BB" immediately to the right of the serial number, but has no explanation for what those letters stood for.  SS wouldn't stand for Solid Steel because HB anvils weren't solid steel.  They were made with two different processes, but both included wrought iron, or low carbon bases.

G-Man Bart -

You are incorrect. Hay Budden did experiment with solid steel anvils and as Lou said collectors would be all over that anvil. There have been several sold on Ebay in the past year for a fairly healthy chunk of change. Sometimes it best not to offer an opinion if you have only read a book. Many of the folks on IFI have developed a considerable knowledge base from actual experience.

Thanks for the correction. 

You know, there's a polite way to correct someone, but you chose otherwise.  I guess you'd also suggest that only people with a lifetime of knowledge, based solely upon actual experience should ever try to help someone here.

HB made at least 10 known Solid Steel anvils in the early 19teens.  The indicators are the SS after the serial number and a round depression on the side opposite the name.  That is the mark from the plumger that expelled the anvil from the mold.  

21 hours ago, Joel Russell said:

My uncle has a Hay Budden anvil that has a serial number 193 187 and the letters SS next to the serial number. Would anyone be able to give us some help as to when this anvil was manufactured and what the SS means? Thanks.

If that anvil is ever for sale, please PM.  I would be interested.  Thanks.

21 hours ago, Joel Russell said:

Please post some pictures!  Weight?

• 5 weeks later...