I Forge Iron

Dead blow treadle hammer

JHCC,

Got a couple of options for you. ZIP METALS in Elyria, OH has a great selection of lead. Great prices too. It would save you some shipping money if you pick up instead of having it shipped.

Also, a really nice  in northern Ohio on C.L. at a good Meyers Mark in-line treadle hammer just came up for sale price.

I hope this helps...

Edited by Mod34
Commercial links removed.

John, I got to talking about smithing at my cousin's bonfire tonight and his cousin from the other side of the family told me he can't get me steel but has access to hundreds of pounds of very pure lead should I want some free.  He gets high grade, slag free stuff in 36" by 3" rods from work for free and he and his boss make fishing tackle with it for fun in the garage.  He told me he can give you 100# of it any time if you come to CT. 

6 hours ago, Stitch said:

I hope this helps...

Not so much for this project, but I will definitely check out Zip Metals and keep it in mind for future ones.

(I'm in Oberlin, by the way; are you near me?)

6 hours ago, Lou L said:

He told me he can give you 100# of it any time if you come to CT. 

Oh, the TSA would LOVE that bag inspection!

On 8/2/2017 at 0:17 PM, JHCC said:

Assuming an interior volume of 3" x 3" x 9" (and I'm just guessing on that; I'm currently several hundred miles from my shop) or 81 cubic inches, that would be ~33 lbs of lead

Now that I'm home, I've checked and found that the interior dimensions are actually 3.5" x 3.5" x 9.5", for a total volume of 116.375 cubic inches of lead, which weights ~47 lbs. Throw in the weight of the steel, and that hammer head is going to be upwards of 50 lbs. 

This raises an interesting question. The anvil and stand weigh about 300 lbs, which gives a hammer-to-anvil ratio of about 1:6. If I'm only planning to use this for punching, chiseling, and the like, is that ratio going to be an issue? Or would that only be a problem if I were planning to be drawing out, fullering, and swaging heavy stock?