I Forge Iron

Spears and javelins

In the last week several new spears and javelins were made.
Mostly it is reproductions of Illerup Adal and Nydam, but also Celtic (the little to javelin).
I present them.

AAA .... I would like to add that I do not use power tools .... no ... I try ... at least.
I try to do as much as possible with a hammer and work with a file or a stone, at the end with sandpaper.
None of my spears were, and probably will not, but at least welded electrically ....... I have a welder but until today I have not learned ... hahahaha

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• 1 year later...

What I find really useful for making arrow heads and think would be as useful making spears look and heck ARE tweaked scroll tongs. One bit slips inside the socket the other holds it from outside. 

4 hours ago, Ibor said:

Frosty, I have two small pliers, one small, the other big.

Are they common pliers or is the translation software altering your meaning . . . again? May we see a picture of them please? A picture will iliminate any confusion. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Something I occasionally use other then scroll tongs for holding inside the socket on spear heads resembles tongs that you would think were made to hold angle iron in the angle. Just two V's that fit inside each other. Near right angle V's. I had made some arrow head specific scroll tongs in the past also. With the scrolly bit being close to the size of shaft I was wanting the arrowhead to fit. Same thing could be done with pipe (to lessen the weight) welded onto the jaw of tongs. Forge the pipe end down to just under interior socket dimension. Don't know how well they'd work been to busy to try that idea out. LOL some of the business being making spear heads.

Your smaller pair are very similar to what I've used as arrow head socket tongs. Also known as my scroll tongs.  I don't do a lot of socketed tools so I haven't made a more dedicated pair.

Your larger pair look like well used general purpose tongs.

Thanks Ibor.