I Forge Iron

Introduction

MDDstudios

Hello. My name is Matthew a graduate student from in Boley, Oklahoma and I have been forging for a few years. While I am a new member to the site I have been a avid visitor for about the past year. I just figured it was about time to join this forum to get into contact with blacksmiths and to try and improve my forging. I have not had a lot of time recently to forge due the lack of rain, wind and my studies, but am trying to schedule some more free time this Fall to forge, and hopefully take part in a nearby craft fair.

Welcome Matthew.  It's obvious you've been reading for a while because you precluded the usual requests for location by adding it in advance and gave a nice, concise summary of yourself.  So far you are curmudgeon proof!

Let us know the type of forging you do, the tools you use (anvil, forge type, etc..) and post pictures!  Oh yeah, what are you studying in grad school.  There is a seriously high nerd factor on this site and people bring a whole lot of interesting information outside of smithing almost daily.  

Lou

Thanks for the compliment. Currently I am using a full sized Whitlox Wood-Fired forge (currently using coal, but am switching to wood) and a NC 112lbs. Cavalry Anvil. Pictures will have to wait as photography is a hobby of mine and my camera needs to be cleaned out. In graduate school I am studying Museum Studies, while in college I got a Major in Anthropology and a Minor in History, hopefully I can get a job in a museum, at least that is the goal.

Give you a bit to get up to speed and you can give TP a run for his money!

the Saltfork Craftsmen are the states artistic blacksmith association, tho not limited to blacksmiths, broom makers, fiber artist and all are welcome. There is a meeting every week some were in the state, and one for each area every month. Great bunch of ladies and gentlemen. Just google them. 

Welcome aboard Matthew, glad to have you. I think you're going to fit right in with the gang. Don't let Charles fool you, nobody's curmudgeon proof, especially not curmudgeons we just slap each other around more quietly. :ph34r:

We're eclectic to the point of a sort of group schizophrenia, from pre-metal age tech to quantum physics and mechanics, biologists, brain surgeons and rocket scientists. That's a short list of course but it lends the feel for the Iforge gang.

Know any good jokes, like puns? :)

Frosty The Lucky.

11 hours ago, MDDstudios said:

In graduate school I am studying Museum Studies, while in college I got a Major in Anthropology and a Minor in History

Welcome to the wonderful world of haptic learning!

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Frosty equating puns with *good* jokes

Frosty's not the only one doing that!

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Know any good jokes, like puns? :)

Frosty The Lucky.

When it comes to jokes and puns I do not know any, but if one develops I strike while the iron is hot.

I have looked up the Saltfork Craftsmen and while I am interested in joining most of my money goes to schooling, and I am saving to get some needed PPE and steel.