I Forge Iron

New Forge Design

Hoods that large don't get enough waste heat from a forge fire to draw well, they have to  depend on open air convection for a flow. I have a larger over head hood on the BIG coal forge I built before I discovered I didn't know where the good coal was. and it didn't work worth poo even with a over large fire. Worked a treat if I built a wood fire even without the blower. 

As a temporary patch you could make a small side draft from a piece of  10" stove pipe by cutting away a section of one side. Then simply slip the crimped end up into the pipe on the hood you have. Trim the length so it fits between the existing stack in the hood and the table of course. Don't worry about it fitting exactly reasonable size gaps at either end won't effect things. The side draft will get a strong draw off the fire and just shoot it into the stack you have now.

It won't be perfect but should be better than relying on an open hood and last till you get something else built. 

Heck, one of our guys located a seam of good smithing coal and I've got to start thinking of making a coal forge work again myself. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a crazier setup. My forge goes from 8" pipe to 6" back to 8". The 6" is a metalbestos pipe which is a insulated double wall pipe. I used this because of a tight fit through my shed opening. Too make matters even crazier, I have two 90 degree bends and a slight bend from the forge. I have no issues with draft or smoke coming into my shed. If you close up your opening so a lot less ambient air mixes with the hot air- it'll draft.

I have a video if you're interested.

My last chimney was galvanized and I didn't have a problem with it besides that it sucked. I'm just worried about the zinc poisoning, I've read that people have gotten really sick or died from it. I'm just going the "better safe than sorry" route this time.

Anyways, It works great right now, far better than my other forge. I forged out the bigger piece yesterday and then heat treated the other before I shut it down.

IMG_20170814_194433.jpg

IMG_20170814_194442.jpg

I gave the parting toast for Paw Paw Wilson at Quad-State the year he died from complications of Metal Fume Fever and so I've very aware of the issue.  I have never had any problem with it in my forges. Look at the super sucker designs and you will see they put the galvanized pipe far enough away from the heat that it doesn't have problems. YMMV

• 3 weeks later...