I Forge Iron

Fall meet 2017

Jenifer, I had a headsmack moment when Lou told me about your quench/hammer scale popping trick.  Duh.  How many times have I seen that effect without planning it into my process?  Too many.  Thanks.  

Justin and Leigh Morell's shop is probably your local repository of NEB castings.  If they don't have one on hand you could pick up the prize (If I heard correctly that you won) at the spring meet in NH or contact Bob Menard to work it out.

Lou, anyone willing to be prodded by me into working with a stranger on a suprise project with loaner tools and a deadline in front of a crowd gets some serious respect.  Most important part of the evening was having fun and learing something, and I hope you did.  Hats off to you.  

Jenifer, I had a headsmack moment when Lou told me about your quench/hammer scale popping trick.  Duh.  How many times have I seen that effect without planning it into my process?  Too many.  Thanks.  

Justin and Leigh Morell's shop is probably your local repository of NEB castings.  If they don't have one on hand you could pick up the prize (If I heard correctly that you won) at the spring meet in NH or contact Bob Menard to work it out.

Lou, anyone willing to be prodded by me into working with a stranger on a suprise project with loaner tools and a deadline in front of a crowd gets some serious respect.  Most important part of the evening was having fun and learing something, and I hope you did.  Hats off to you.  

Funny how that works, isn't it..  

Luckily Lou had the right questions when he came along and asked about welding 5160 to 5160..  The taco was simply because of what we had on hand..  I'm really curious what Lou makes out of it? Would make a nice a nice hunter and I betcha the with the contrast it would be really neat looking.. 

No notification from anybody else on winning so I'll hit Bob up and see..  

I concur on getting up in front of all the people and just throwing down. Especially with the limited resources and tooling.. LOL..  Its tough pulling it off. Kudo's to all who took part.. 

@jlpservicesinc, I am proud of myself because I was actually thinking about that problem.  My answer was going to be to strike it really hot at the same angle you showed in order to bevel the mild steel.  I hadn't thought about grinding.

Thanks again for the tutelage!

Thanks for the kudos Judson, I certainly learned a lot and met a fellow smith from CT who is interested in some hammer-in style meet ups.  Still, I'm a harsh critic of myself and, despite the time crunch, I should have done better. I changed my material but didn't change the technique for the weld.  Stupid...stupid...stoopid :).   My error cost us too much time as I had to fight the weld and our plan fell apart.  The lack of proper tooling was problematic for sure but that is my natural state anyway!