I Forge Iron

Almost there!!!

My pleasure. Another thought is to find something other than a pile of cinder blocks for a stand. That way it'll be easier to move and you can use the cinder blocks for something else say shelves. Not that it really matters once you know what arrangement works best for you but after the years I've been playing in the fire I still move things. Projects, ancillary tools, equipment, wife's mood, etc change so I move things to suit. 

Frosty The Lucky.

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

One of the guys here used an electrical junction box of a name I don't recall as his air control. The blower fed into the junction directly at the cover plate and the tuyere pipe was located at a 90. He controlled air by opening the cover plate which was on one screw. It was a SWEET setup.

And here it is:

image.jpeg

Apparently, the official name is a 2" LB conduit body.

4 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I took an old propane grill cart and replaced the center---grill part---with a piece of sheet metal and have my forge on top of that. convenient height and I can move the cart around.  Free too!

Old propane grill carts are the best. I turned one into a movable tool rack.

IMG_2812.JPG

You also might consider taking another slice of the stump so the head of the rail stands proud, this will allow you to sculpt a set of  bicks on the flange. Pass on the cut off on the web, make a fuller. One wouldn't want to lose a finger. 

Now that the stump is just a bit lower, cut two groves and mount the track plate upside down, after drilling holes under the spike holes. Forge 7/8" shank hardy tools to fit. Walla, hardy hole/tool plate. 

On the just another rail iron anvil I drilled and cross drilled the web Boss as a prichel hole

2" LB conduit body, that's the THING! Thanks John, I have it written down and will be picking one up tomorrow. We have a blacksmith hammer in camp out this weekend and I believe that's De BOMB for making a 12v mattress inflater perfect for camp fire blacksmithing.

I'm hoping more guys than have spoken up show. We have a lot of new guys who like all new comers are jonesing for tools and equipment. I'll be taking some expedient tools to let them have a shot at OLD school. 

Yeah, yeah I know an electric blower isn't that old school but it IS traditional. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Yall are awesome!!!! I haven't got a chance to do anything in the shop today. I've been visiting my parents and we have the grandkids tonight! But anyway I should be able to get back to it tomorrow afternoon. I happen to have a grill stand with wheels on it and I will see if it will work. I have to go into dallas tomorrow so I will stop in at the electrical supply store and get one of those LB conduit boxes. Charles, that is a great idea about the rail plate and I actually ground a fuller on tge web last night while I was talking to Frosty. I have a question though. Pardon my ignorance but I'm not sure what you mean about sculpting a set of bricks on the flange?. Thanks for the advice yall!

mine had the Al grill removed and sold as scrap which paid for the steel plate that replaced it.  Then the wheels gave out and I bolted a  rod across  and put on some *good* wheels I had around the shop---hard rubber with ball bearing bearings, used hitch pin clips to hold them on, then after *years* of rough service I used SDST screws to put some strap Xs to make it a bit more rigid again.   My propane forge is bolted to the plate using butterfly nuts making it easy to remove for transportation.

About time to find another and make it purdy with hand forged accents before I mount the forge on it...

Allright!!! I got the LB conduit and installed it. I think we have better air control now. Its gonna take some tweaking and head scratching. We also have the forge on a movable stand. It isn't quite the same as yall were talking about but it will work for the moment, at least until I come across a propane grill stand.  I will have to work more on the anvil next time I am home, it's a pain to do 3 weeks worth of chores in one week. Such is the life I chose. We also went to mccoys and picked up a five gallon bucket full of toys, haha. We got the L.B. conduit, some files, chisels, wirebrushes and a 2.5 lb hammer. Anyway I am almost done with my first project and I will post pictures when it is complete. But here are some pictures of my back porch smithy haha.

P.S.  Frosty. I couldn't move the forge in the exact position that you suggested due to my plug in being so far away from my blower. But I did turn it a little more than 45 degrees and moves it closer to the anvil.

15025971296301363821140.jpg

1502597186796327945095.jpg

1502597292374556085389.jpg

15025973573571153606158.jpg

Allright!!! I got the LB conduit and installed it. I think we have better air control now. Its gonna take some tweaking and head scratching. We also have the forge on a movable stand. It isn't quite the same as yall were talking about but it will work for the moment, at least until I come across a propane grill stand.  I will have to work more on the anvil next time I am home, it's a pain to do 3 weeks worth of chores in one week. Such is the life I chose. We also went to mccoys and picked up a five gallon bucket full of toys, haha. We got the L.B. conduit, some files, chisels, wirebrushes and a 2.5 lb hammer. Anyway I am almost done with my first project and I will post pictures when it is complete. But here are some pictures of my back porch smithy haha.

P.S. @ Frosty. I couldn't move the forge in the exact position that you suggested due to my plug in being so far away from my blower. But I did turn it a little more than 45 degrees and moves it closer to the anvil.