I Forge Iron

So you think YOUR anvil's broken. ...

I have an idea. However I've finally gotten to the point where I NEVER start a project thinking it will go according to plan. Mr. Murphy and I have a history!

But like most things in this craft. ..it will be a labor of love. And that's always worth doing.

• 3 months later...

So after quite a time debating in my head, I finally just started in. I beveled the edges, tacked a 3/8 round rod between the two halves as a spacer, and started preheating before welding. I used 5/32 8018 (what i had on hand) and tried to work all sides evenly.  I foolishly stopped half way through the project however and the next day discovered  i hadn't worked both sides as evenly as i thought. She popped the weld on one side and had a distinct "tilt" to the face. It's not all that bad, only about 1/8" , but it was annoying. I ground back to solid weld, and carried on. THERE WAS NO STRAIGHTENING IT short of grinding COMPLETELY through. Anyway, here she is in her imperfect glory. Ring is clear, and sounds even when tapped from below or above the weld. I burned appx 14lb of rod, so she may be a little heavier than the 176# she claims....but only a fool would ask such a fine old girl to hop on the scale:D

Please ignore the messy shop, I could make excuses, but it always looks like that!

20171119_154318.thumb.jpg.c2675ae93573677b2ff69e90fedfa650.jpg