I Forge Iron

Suitable handle scales?

Red and White Oak make good, functional knife handles, though they aren't all that aesthetic IMHO.  I'm not sure how well they will hold up for a chisel, but that is all dependent on how the chisel tang or socket is designed and how you plan on using it.  For a real budget source of oak for scales consider looking at old wooden pallets.  The heavier ones are sometimes made of oak or similar hardwood.

I've heard it said a number of times that pallets are an excellent and free source of a number of hardwoods.  Businesses of all types store piles of them they give away for free.  I have yet to inspect a pallet for the quality of the wood, I usually end up burning them or using them to store stuff in the shed.

Find a place selling solid hardwood flooring and ask them for "samples".

Places that sell things like wallboard, sheet metal, etc often have large strong pallets that they will give away---I used to have a sign company across the alleyway and I ended up getting a lot of 12' long 4x4's from their sheet metal and plastic sheet deliveries.  (to remove the twisted nails I would first try with a crowbar and then if the tops popped off I'd heat the nail with a propane torch and then pull out with a large set of vise grips and a block of wood.)