I Forge Iron

4 hours ago, Cody.klepzig said:

I need prices on anvils, tongs, hammers, and forges.

Prices range from ZERO dollars to as deep as your pocketbook allows. Zero dollars include but are not limited to a large rock can be used as an anvil, a smaller rock as a hammer, a hole in the ground for a forge, and leave the stock long and you do not need tongs. Shipping to Alaska can cost more than the item you purchased. We need more details as to quality, size etc. for the items mentioned. 

Please read the anvil section, the hammer section, the forge section, and the tool section to get a better idea of WHAT you need and the details of the options.

Join the local blacksmithing group or organization as they know where the stuff is located and a representative price in your area. Attend the meetings and you can learn more in a few hours than you can ever imagine. And there is a section of IFI dedicated to those in Alaska.

Welcome aboard Cody, glad to have you. Alaska is a little too general a location, how about a town? The next meeting is in Palmer this September but I didn't write down the date, I can ask.

You need prices on: Anvils, tongs, hammers and forges. . . Plural? Are you opening a store? Except for hammers, blacksmithing tools aren't common enough to do much shopping up here. If you want to buy new, a little search time will give you the list of current manufacturers, stay away from cheap junk and modern smithing tools are generally excellent.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Scrambler82 said:

On-Line pricing can be high if buying new.

I was looking for couple of Hardie Tools to get started, one site had a hot cut Hardie for over $80, won't be buying that one, another had one for $55; that's when I decided USED is the way for me.

It all becomes what something is worth to the person buying it..   I would never think about buying a hammer, tongs, hardies or the like as I can make them exactly to what I want.. Same with fabricated stuff.. But with that said it also becomes a time frame and the willingness to make what you need or want as well as the skill set..  Took me 4 years to start making decent tongs.. :)  

1 hour ago, Scrambler82 said:

Look on Craigs List, eBay, and a general search on line for Blacksmithing, Hardie Tools, Tongs, or just Tools, not sure the actual spelling of "Hardie" in reference to "Blacksmithing" but I use the "ie" at the end and eBay always finds the "y" in Hardy.

And yes on "If you have the money buy a new anvil", for the price of "Antique" or "Rare" items which seems to be the coined phase and everything is getting it... new is not only less expensive but as stated sometimes includes free shipping.

Always check the new prices against what is being asked on-line, even if it is a little more, new, if buying name brands, is always better materials !

Don't rush into buying the first anvil you see, unless the price is good and the condition exceeds what you thought you were looking for and you have verified what material the anvil is made of.

Good luck from a novice, and all I have mentioned above is written in the IFI Site...  somewhere and by someone !

Excellent suggestions..    Big fan of making everything. Blacksmithing is about time at the forge, anvil, vise and hammer.. It's the only way to get good at it..  I still have my first hardies which were made from wood splitting wedges.. The steel was terribly soft but they lasted 15 years before I made a set out of better steel.. 

Give us a shout Cody, there's an Association of Alaskan Blacksmiths FB page too. We're undergoing a sudden growth spurt and there are a lot of newcomers joining the club so our demos are aimed at learning basic skills. Members also usually welcome new folk into their shops for some practice. Not all of them of course some have day jobs.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey thank you everyone and btw I live in anchorage alaska to be exact and want to set up a place for people that do or do not know how to forge including myself to learn how to forge that's why I said forges figure if I find a place big enough have many kinds of forges for people to rent and use inside of the shop 

We have a number of members living in Anchorage Cody, search out the club FB page and ask Tristan to you admit you, it's a closed group. Tell him Frosty sent you. B) I'm in the Valley.

Frosty The Lucky.

roz·zer   ˈräzər/

noun    BRITISH  informal      plural noun: rozzers

a police officer.

Do rags are sometimes indicative of affiliation with gangs...an uninformed or officious copper might hassle you if they thought you were so affiliated...rather a weak joke; but then I do deal with 2 sets of customs and immigration officers twice each weekday...one set per each country going to work and returning from work. 

I have never even given that any thought... It is black with IFI.com on it.. I supposed in todays turmoil anything can be problematic..  Crazy... No head scarft, or do rags, or arm bands or colored blue or red shirts or bandanas.. What the monkey is going on.. 

Luckily everywhere I am demoing or showing up are non gang ran events so I should be ok.. 

We offer truckers hats with IForgeIron logos and designs for sale through the site.

The trucker hats could put the wearer into a particular category, or sub category depending on the design. Much like the plastic hard hat and the welders hats.

If your interested in a trucker hat with IForgeIron logos or designs, contact me PM.

On 7/29/2017 at 1:47 AM, Thief_Of_Navarre said:

I like how you make such a vast place sound so cosy. I feel isolated in the UK with only 70-80miles between IFI members :s

Here in my neck of the woods it's only old guys that talk fondly of their old gran that used to smith. they love to come by when i have the fire going and use up all of my "heat time."  A neighbour told me recently how they were cleaning out his granddad's garage and found 100s of kilo coal-coke and how heavy it was to take to the dump. Lol.

Off subject i know, but it got me thinking.... 

Cheers to you guys that live near each other.