CHUCK M

Setting up shop in a 12x7 shed

34 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2017 at 8:24 PM, Nate Thiessen said:

I have one very similar to this, except the burner is on top. The only issues I have run in to is heat loss, heat treating larger knives, and doing projects that require a wider opening. The heat loss can be somewhat prevented by placing a fire brick against the opposite opening.

If you are looking to drown out some of the noise, nail egg cartons around the room. The part that holds the eggs works as a sound dampener. I once had a quiet room that had egg flats checkerboarded on the walls and ceiling.

Also I have found that neighbors tend to be more tolerable of late night shop noise if they get a free item and an apology note. I have worked till 2 am and have had no complaints from neighbors, and all it cost me was 4 of my first horseshoe hearts.

I also have a forge of this design likely from the same eBay seller, you will want to seal that kaowool insulation with something that will prevent the insulation particles from becoming airborne and trashing your lungs over time.  There is a bunch of good info on the topic over in the gas forge subforum.  

As for insulation, I like the Roxul mineral wool products as they are sound absorbing and fire resistant.  I have used the Roxul 80 mineral wool boards to build sound absorbing panels in my home theater and it's really effective across a broad frequency range, the 60 is also good as are the more typical bats (Home Depot sells them) depending on your budget & application.  

Egg cartons are a valid option for certain types of acoustical treatment, however their primary benefit is going to be dispersion and reduction of echo, not absorption/attenuation of the sound which is what he is after.  I'd also be concerned about adding paper pulp/cardboard to the walls of a shop in which he is running a forge & angle grinder, it's a fire hazard.

If you want to keep the mice away, get some pure peppermint oil extract and soak some cotton balls to place throughout the space.  I had a rodent issue with my camper and shed, this solved it in both (the cat option is also a good one, but ours has passed his mouse hunting prime so this is our best option.  

Just remember not to use rodent poison and cats. Rodents eat the poison then cats eat the poison in the rodents, poisoning the cats. 

My cats regularly come into my shop when I'm working to " inspect " it. :) 

Out here in SoCal, French Valley area, Coyotes are the problem, yes we have Field Mice and a cat would be good but if the cat is left outside all night it needs a good retreat location or it will be the main dish on a Coyote plate.

I have found the electronic modules, that plug in a receptical, work well to keeps the little critters out side, then the snakes, coyotes, and hawks can eat better.

4 minutes ago, CHUCK M said:
On July 19, 2017 at 4:36 AM, Yuppiejr said:

Chuck... did you mean to say something ?

On 7/19/2017 at 7:36 AM, Yuppiejr said:

I also have a forge of this design likely from the same eBay seller, you will want to seal that kaowool insulation with something that will prevent the insulation particles from becoming airborne and trashing your lungs over time.  There is a bunch of good info on the topic over in the gas forge subforum.  

If you want to keep the mice away, get some pure peppermint oil extract and soak some cotton balls to place throughout the space.  I had a rodent issue with my camper and shed, this solved it in both (the cat option is also a good one, but ours has passed his mouse hunting prime so this is our best option.  

i have read lots about the kaowool, is on the list....i have purchase a few bottles of pepermint oil and put it to use the smell inside is offensive.

On 7/19/2017 at 10:55 AM, Daswulf said:

Just remember not to use rodent poison and cats. Rodents eat the poison then cats eat the poison in the rodents, poisoning the cats. 

My cats regularly come into my shop when I'm working to " inspect " it. :) 

i dont plan on using poison i quite enjoy the neighborhood cats, they are very cool and always visit when we are out on the deck/.

On 7/19/2017 at 11:43 AM, Scrambler82 said:

Out here in SoCal, French Valley area, Coyotes are the problem, yes we have Field Mice and a cat would be good but if the cat is left outside all night it needs a good retreat location or it will be the main dish on a Coyote plate.

I have found the electronic modules, that plug in a receptical, work well to keeps the little critters out side, then the snakes, coyotes, and hawks can eat better.

i have also purchase an electronic repellent with sound .

yea scrambler not sure what happened reposted.

I also came across a product while researching called Inspecta shield a spray on fire retardant, seems to be a good product and would be perfect for my application, has anyone had any experience or ever heard of it.  Was considering making a new thread about it, just to get more opinions...link for product below.

https://www.industrialsafety.com/Brooks-FRG-Fire-Retardant-1-gal-p/cc-frg.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-snY2p2Y1QIVlgMqCh2GIgWMEAQYASABEgItBPD_BwE

you tube link for product as well:  

On 7/19/2017 at 3:31 AM, CHUCK M said:

I have indoor cats, but we do have 3-4 neighbor cats from the surrounding houses that I see in my backyard daily.

Barn cats rule. If you were to put out a little cat food your neighbor cats will happily spend time at your place hunting. Keep your barn cat well fed and healthy and they'll do better. 

I don't know why I didn't think of a barn or shop cat it's always been our preference. We could only use a bucket trap in summer and the mice moved into the barn to winter over. A cold weather bucket trap needs antifreeze in it and that just won't fly in the barn! A dip in -30f antifreeze water is almost instantaneously fatal, dead and frozen solid in seconds. Well okay, freezing solid probably takes a minute or two but. . . 

Thanks for the reminder Slag. I often need the obvious pointed out to me.

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, CHUCK M said:

I also came across a product while researching called Inspecta shield a spray on fire retardant, seems to be a good product and would be perfect for my application, has anyone had any experience or ever heard of it.  Was considering making a new thread about it, just to get more opinions...link for product below.

borax is a fire retardant also.

1 hour ago, wpearson said:

borax is a fire retardant also.

I was going to go with borax, but switch it up still going to do more research