I Forge Iron

I have a stuck Blower

SergeySindri

I've had this blower for a bout a year now and its worked fine up until now when the gears have gotten completely stuck.blower2.thumb.jpg.a6888b0691d6950371e165a2bee72362.jpg

It happened when i tried to put grease on the gears to stop a dull clanking noise which I now realize was pretty dumb of me.blower5.thumb.jpg.9a1d39a1ebbfeb7e5e593400342ba61a.jpg

I need some help to figure out how to fix it. I've stripped it down the best I could to try to clean it but there is one screwy thing (for lack of a better word) that won't come out.blower7.thumb.jpg.140e89f888c88552b02b8e570c08e593.jpgblower4.thumb.jpg.7cf40ff049440eb8e248e13b83e43144.jpg

If any one has any ideas that would help a lot.

thanksblower3.thumb.jpg.0b4c8ba98726f20e98e2eae0fe587f2e.jpgblower6.thumb.jpg.05aef3839ddb79f214295057f0306834.jpg

blower1.jpg

Did you oil it like instructed back in January? Looks to me like the grease may have picked up pieces of bad bearings or gear chips and jammed in the bottom of the teeth. Use a solvent like kerosene and wash out all of the grease with a brush, while working the gears back & forth to see how badly they are worn.

24 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Did you oil it like instructed back in January? Looks to me like the grease may have picked up pieces of bad bearings or gear chips and jammed in the bottom of the teeth. Use a solvent like kerosene and wash out all of the grease with a brush, while working the gears back & forth to see how badly they are worn.

I'll try the kerosene and brush method and what  type of oil should I use

When you oil it just a FEW DROPS at the beginning of a session! Even if the case will hold a quart it doesn't need that much. Be sure to oil the shaft bushings, there's an hole on top of them, a couple DROPS each. 

I oil mine by dripping a few drops through the top oiler cup over the gears while turning the crank. They're sling oilers not bath oiler systems, you just want to track some around and the machine is happy.

I think all the space in the case was meant to let the dirt, wasp nests, chips and bits of broken gear, bearing, etc. and whatever children poke in room so you can wash it out. When I got mine it was really rough and crunchy so I just poked a water hose in, turned it on and worked the handle back and forth. Flushed a bunch of . . . crud out, and turns smooth as silk ever since. Well, once in a while it tells me something nested in it so I take the hose to it again.

These things aren't precision instruments, they're well made but made to be low maintainence and reasonably easy to repair. I'll bet they're perfectly happy with a little hot bacon grease drippings if the high tech lubes weren't available. I use chain saw bar oil with about 1/4 cup of Duralube per gallon in all my old timey machinery. My LG doesn't sling oil around the shop and runs smooth as a gravy sandwich with extra butter. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Joey Van Der Steeg, a member here on IFI, did a rather thorough, multi-part break down and rebuild of one of those on YouTube.  There are a few other videos as well.  Watching those videos helped enlighten me as to some of the finer details in dismantling those blowers.  I have a smaller one and couldn't figure out how to take it apart without damaging it.  The videos made it easy.  I think you may be in dire need of a complete takedown.

Lou