Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
L0RDR4G3

coil springs

7 posts in this topic

okay so first post but avid reader.

today i receved delivery of 2 new mattresses for my son's bed and ours. 

concidering how to dispose of the old ones i realised the springs in said mattress may actually be steel.

a quick google and most answers state it is recycled steel of unknown origins

anyone have any experience with the type of steel used 

is it worth turning into billets for makin hardy tools, or even possibly a few blades. 

I think it would be more of a headache to forge weld or experiment with for the applications you mentioned; however, it may prove really useful for making pins or rivets or for any other situation where narrow stock is needed.  People wrap knife handles and even bottle openers with narrow rod stock and it looks really nice.  I would certainly tear at least a few of those springs out "just in case".

You're going to find two types of steel wire in a mattress: the harder, thinner coil springs in the middle, and the thicker, softer binder wire around the edges. Neither one is particularly good for smithing (between their small dimensions and unknown carbon content), but the binder wire might be good for practicing S-hooks and similar basic projects.

I have done some testing on springs from one mattress and it did harden and temper very nice. Use it as an engraving chisel. 

I saved some out of my old mattress after a successful hardening test thinking I'd use them for something. Truth is I ended up sending them all to the scrap yard after wasting too much time trying to straighten them and do something with them. I won't waste the time saving them again.

I pull them out a bit so they stay ~2 1/2- 3' long, bend and push one end into the ground, put a golf ball on the other end. I keep them scattered thru the garden, the grand kids love to play with the 'boingy flowers'.

Steve

Yeah i was thinken if nothing else they could be handle pins or even some sort of wrap like a seporater between leather strap in a spiral.

lol i love that Stash

Cheers guys some good advice