I Forge Iron

Another beginner, near Austin Texas

masonred

I've watched farriers many years and even did it a little myself. This is a natural step toward blacksmithing and i finally decided to give it a try. I got a small RR track from a mine or amusement park type setup. Also some refractory pieces and ordered some furnace cement. Hope to have everything in place before the end of the month, and start making hinges, handles arrow heads (medieval points) and yes even a knife. This place has lots of information and should really help. I live near lockhart its 30 miles or so from Austin. 

Thanks Masonred    

Welcome to the forum, Mason.  You are fortunate to live in an area that has a number of IFI members "nearby".  I used quotes because Texas.  Post pictures of what you have so far if you want insights from the crowd AND if you are willing to hear the analysis.  Personally, I look back to my post about my coal forge design and I think the regulars were to lenient with me.  It needed to be critiqued a lot more.  But I guess the curmudgeons wanted me to learn the hard/right way.

Welcome aboard.

If you're ever in the area shoot me a pm, and come on over!

Nice to have you here

Littleblacksmith